McAfee or Norton

Comprev

McAfee or Norton  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Be prepared lots of opinions :D

I have NIS 2011, upgraded free from the original NIS 2009. My wife bought me this laptop 18 months ago and included 3 years of NIS. I had sworn off Norton several years back so was a bit sceptical. To my surprise it has been very good and light on resources, no conflicts at all with MBAM paid version.

My wife has MacAfee and we are not very happy with it as it needs exclusions for MBAM and also often gives some trouble with claiming it is not protecting when it in fact is active. Too many little annoying glitches and IMO poor detection rate. My other two machines have Avira and it works well.

I use many different version of anti-virus softwares. I can not really tell you if one is better than the other, it really a matter of preferance.

Maybe another category like they are both ok if configured correctly.....

Have you seen the article I posted Is free virus protection inferior?, What price is virus protection worth?

I am curious as to which antivirus software is said to be better-McAfee (paid version) or Norton?

what do mean by better exactly? protection? performance?

both offer decent protection and thats whats most important when it comes to AV software, but both also have there share of problems too,

I've used both at one time or another with no problems and then there have been other times where there were a ton of problems,

there are many different factors to consider when choosing an AV so when people ask me about AV software recommendations I usually tell them its really up to user preference, give them a list of reliable vendors and encourage them to shop around try some trials out and find one that best suits there needs :D

there are also quite a few AV's that are free and provide basic protection at no cost and in many cases do there job just as good if not better than most of the paid for AV's on the market :)

Be prepared lots of opinions :D

I have NIS 2011, upgraded free from the original NIS 2009. My wife bought me this laptop 18 months ago and included 3 years of NIS. I had sworn off Norton several years back so was a bit sceptical. To my surprise it has been very good and light on resources, no conflicts at all with MBAM paid version.

My wife has MacAfee and we are not very happy with it as it needs exclusions for MBAM and also often gives some trouble with claiming it is not protecting when it in fact is active. Too many little annoying glitches and IMO poor detection rate. My other two machines have Avira and it works well.

My antivirus software is avast! free antivirus. I can understand your feelings of McAfee-it is probably the worst nagware antivirus around. Norton and McAfee used to be the best. However, they had their time and avast!, avg and Avira are taking the stage.

Comprev

McAfee does a poor job. Norton is not that great ether. Stay clear of them by using MSE or Avira both will do nicely.:D

Read my reply to Goldhound-they both had their times around three years ago. From what CNET reviewers think, there are better antivirus solutions out there.

Thanks to all of the replies. I will release the result of the polls every Friday.

Thanks for participating,

Comprev

Both Terrible, I will leave it at that

I agree. I have only used McAfee. I am not sure about its detection capabilities, but it is extremely annoying, especially when you are watching a video on full screen.

Avast is probably better than both of them. Plus, it is free.

Thanks,

Comprev

what do mean by better exactly? protection? performance?

both offer decent protection and thats whats most important when it comes to AV software, but both also have there share of problems too,

I've used both at one time or another with no problems and then there have been other times where there were a ton of problems,

there are many different factors to consider when choosing an AV so when people ask me about AV software recommendations I usually tell them its really up to user preference, give them a list of reliable vendors and encourage them to shop around try some trials out and find one that best suits there needs :D

there are also quite a few AV's that are free and provide basic protection at no cost and in many cases do there job just as good if not better than most of the paid for AV's on the market :)

Those others are the last for today that I will comment on :)

It means overall. What do you think was the best for you? Consider protection, performance, and system integration. Factor price into it as well.

Thanks,

Comprev

Looks like Norton is the winner. However, 54.55% of voters seem to think that they are both terrible anti-virus solutions. 36.36% of people think that Norton is the best, and 9.09% seem to think that they are both good. All voters seem to have decided; no "IDK's" or "one seems better". Poor McAfee seems to be unpopular at the moment... It used to be the best AV program, and now no one cares about it :D However, don't be too unfair to McAfee-SiteAdvisor and WOT are probably the best site reviewers. Thanks everyone :)

Regards to all,

Comprev

We all know there is no perfect protection so my problem with paid AV programs is throwing away a yearly fee and (my average customer) still has to come to me and spend even more money to fix what the paid program could not prevent or clean.

That is why MSE and MBAM pro for my customers. Been using that combo since April and not had a single customer come back infected yet :D

I teach my customers how to avoid the crap in the first place as well.

We all know there is no perfect protection so my problem with paid AV programs is throwing away a yearly fee and (my average customer) still has to come to me and spend even more money to fix what the paid program could not prevent or clean.

That is why MSE and MBAM pro for my customers. Been using that combo since April and not had a single customer come back infected yet :D

I teach my customers how to avoid the crap in the first place as well.

There are other great antivirus programs out there, like avast! Avast is free, and, unlike MBAM (no complaint intended), it offers real-time protection with its free version. CNET says that it is their most recommended AV solution on the market. MSE looks like it has good protection (I don't have it-I can't be a complete judge). MBAM's free version is enough to pull malware out of the computer, but it has no free real-time protection and set scheduling without program purchase. It is still a great program, and it saved one of my computers twice from bad rogues (XP Internet Security and Antivirus Soft). You seem like an IT; keep up the helpful work, and consider avast! to help you with your clients.

(I am not from the company; I merely love it so far.) :)

I definately think that Microsoft Security Essentials is much better than Avast. MSE has better detection rates and uses less system resources.

I have yet to see MSE use little ram/cpu usage. Slowed down explorer drastically. Tried it many times with the same results. The main reason I recommend it is because it's user friendly.

@Comprev

Paid version doesn't need to be free. Most times mbam is used is because of present malware. We recommend they purchase it to complete their security.:D

Buttons,

I'm surprised that MSE do that. For all of the machines I have installed it on, around 20, there has been absolutely no slowdown whatsoever.

We've had some issues with it. I had to remove it from my dads computer as it was shutting down it's protection saying windows is not genuine. Passed validation online. :D