Blue Screen in Normal and Safe Mode

Greetings. I am running Windows XP SP3 with AVG installed. Recently I caught a ransom-ware variant and ran MBAM, as I already had it installed as well. It found 20-odd infected files and cleaned what it could, and then told me to reboot. Just before the desktop dissapeared, I heard an odd system "ding".

Now, I get a generic BSOD soon after the windows logo appears. In safe mode, it simply stops and reboots itself without throwing the BSOD. Regardless, I am now locked completely out of my machine.

When I say generic, I mean it. The BSOD just says that windows stopped to keep from causing damage, and told me to check for HD connection issues or viruses.

Any idea on how to unstick me? Cause I'm stuck.

-M

Hello Misguided

Welcome to Malwarebytes.

=====================

What is the stop error that the blue screen produces?

oh. Yeah, that could help.

0x0000007b (0xB84C7524 0xC0000034 0x00000000 0x00000000)

As an addendum, I tried doing a repair re-install with the disk. It got to the part where yer supposed to reboot... and on reboot it just started the same thing all over again.

Thanks in advance!

-M

UPDATE:

Sorry for the double-post, I don't see a way to edit. I ran a FIXMBR from the recovery console, and that allowed the computer to boot to the point that the repair install picked back up, and has me at the installing windows screen. It doesn't appear to be actually INSTALLING windows, mind you, its just sitting there telling me so. But at least that is something.

Wish I'd run the FIXMBR before I told it to do the repair re-install. Dunno how badly I've fubar'd myself here.

-M

• 4 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!