Expanding Variables Error

I've been trying to install the free client and no matter what I do I keep getting an error message saying "Expanding variables (0,9)" followed by "load data base (3,0)" then the expanding variables message again before it says "missing file 3,0,mbamswisarmy.sys"

In total that is 4 message boxes that appear around and during the installations updating phase, and afterwards I can't launch malwarebytes at all. I've tried reinstalling and restarting several times but still nothing works.

I looked around the forums a bit and found this thread:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=64263

I tried the steps in there but still no luck, I can't launch the program and the error messages remain.

Im running windows xp

microsoft security essentials

Im in safemode currently due to thinkpoint malware being on my system (occured last night) and I was wondering if anyone knew what might be wrong with the installation on malwarebytes, or if my running from safemode is whats causing it. Im in the administrators account in safe mode, if that helps.