Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

Too much Security?

TerryFP

At the moment I have all of these installed:

MBAM

SpyBot S&D

Spyware Blaster

Super Anti Spyware

Kaspersky 2010 ( updated to 2011 via this forum)

Windows Firewall

All of these,except KIS and MBAM,which I installed myself,were downloaded by a PC tech who repaired my computer

after it was infected by something I could not fix myself. I would like to know if I have too much security,can it be diluted

to one or two programs without compromising the security?

Many thanks,

TerryFP.

Hello TerryFP:

Could you please provide following details, someone will help you:

1. OS version including 32/64-bit
  2. Processor
  3. RAM
  4. MBAM Free/PRO

A lot of forum members have all these installed but they may have better hardware

Should you have any other question(s) please post back using MXyBj.png button

Hello TerryFP

Spywareblaster is a passive security program, meaning it does not constantly run in the background so you are fine there. I would leave it installed and continue to update it.

Like YoKenny, I really don't use Spybot S&D anymore for it's active real-time protection because it has become somewhat bloated. At the time when I stopped using it, the definitions for the program were not updated frequently but they have since corrected this and release updated definitions once a week now if I remember correctly. While I still do not recommend the use of the real-time protection (TeaTimer), I do use the Immunize feature which is also a form of passive protection for your internet browsers and HOSTS file. You can disable TeaTimer by performing the instructions in the first link below:

Disable TeaTimer

What is the Immunize feature?

What is the HOSTS file?

SuperAntiSpyware is a good program to have in addition to MBAM. I would disable it from starting up when your computer boots unless you bought the paid version of the product because it will not actively protect your computer if you are using the free version. It will be using your system's resources but not actually protecting you. But I do like to use SAS as a backup to MBAM when scanning my computer or anyone else's computer so I would keep it if I were you.

Everything else looks good including Kaspersky 2010, MBAM (of course), and Windows Firewall.

Regards,

Keith

@ Haider:

I think this is the info you asked for:

OS Version; Windows Professional 2002 Service Pack 3

Processor; Pentium 4 CPU 3GHz

RAM; 0.99 GHz

MBAM; Free.

@ Swagger;

I will disable the Spybot TeaTimer and continue to use the Immunization tool.

I need to do some more reading about the Hosts File though.

Thankyou both for your help.much appreciated.

Regards,

Terry.

@TerryFP

Please read:

Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

There are a few users that use Kaspersky 2011 here notably mountaintree16

For a one time licence fee I recommend purchasing MBAM as it provides real-time protection wiith Web Site Blocking.

that setup configured correctly and used properly you should have a good start at a layered security strategy :lol:

Layered Security, also known as layered defense, is a term used by IT security professionals, information protection experts, and security software vendors that describes the practice of leveraging several different point security solutions, filtering systems, and monitoring strategies to protect information technology resources and data.

I recommend purchasing MBAM as it provides real-time protection wiith Web Site Blocking.

It provides IP blocking, not web site blocking. BUT; purchasing MBAMPro with a lifetime license is one of the smartest moves you can make, TerryFP.

Welcome to our community - sometimes the animals get restless but all-in-all the farm is quite a nice place.. Opinions grow like weeds here; you'll love it! :)

~Shy

[...]SuperAntiSpyware is a good program to have in addition to MBAM. I would disable it from starting up when your computer boots unless you bought the paid version of the product because it will not actively protect your computer if you are using the free version. It will be using your system's resources but not actually protecting you. But I do like to use SAS as a backup to MBAM when scanning my computer or anyone else's computer so I would keep it if I were you.

Everything else looks good including Kaspersky 2010, MBAM (of course), and Windows Firewall.

Regards,

Keith

Keith; I'd agree with SASPro (paid version) but CCleaner is a good (better) program to use weekly (than S&D Spybot), as well; yes? And the HOSTS file, of course.

HOSTSMAN with at least 4 or 5 different update lists does a GREAT job on keeping a working HOSTS file up-to-date and effective, Terry. Also, YK1 can give you the 411 on HOSTMAN. :)

~Shy

@Shy,

CCleaner and Spybot's immunize feature do different things...

CCleaner deletes temporary files from Windows, browsers, and cleans up unnecessary files from other programs as well. Of course it does more, but that's some of the main functions...

Spybot S&D's immunize feature blocks certain websites, downloaders/installers, protects IE's configuration settings, and adds entries to the HOSTS file to prevent you from going to malicious websites.

Regards,

Keith

@Buttons,

Both Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster protect Firefox as well. Just FYI...

Exactly.

HOSTSMAN with at least 4 or 5 different update lists does a GREAT job on keeping a working HOSTS file up-to-date and effective

I only use 2 hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS files.

Spybot S&D's HOSTS file is not as well maintained by them and usually have many old site entries that have dropped off the Internet.

@Buttons,

Both Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster protect Firefox as well. Just FYI...

Regards,

Keith

They do. Spywareablaster blocks third party cookies and Spybot protects against popups/cookies.:) Firefox has a pretty good popup blocker so adding backlists is rather unnecessary.:)

@Shy,

CCleaner and Spybot's immunize feature do different things... [...]

Regards,

Keith

@Keith:

I agree.. Actually I didn't mean to disagree with your suggestions as much as I was suggesting different avenues of approach. I use Firefox with 4 add-ons that handle super cookies, javasripts, advertisements and so on. I also use a HOSTS file (and manager), a firewall (OnlineArmor which can use a blacklist; I do. :)) and AVG's free LinkScanner as well as WOT (not so much - too much gaming among users in the rating/ranking), Finjan, MBAMPro IP blocking, Vipre anti-virus and SASPro for spyware. (And run CCleaner every week)

Laugh; I do the best thing a user can do, as well. I *never* purposely visit a "bad" (malware; grayware, warez, free movie or free audio) site. And in spite of all that protection, I still am able to enjoy the fun of the internet. :lol:

I guess the only TOO MUCH SECURITY one can run is two Firewalls or two Virus programs simultaneously as they sometimes conflict.

~Shy

Thankyou everyone! I seem to have prompted some lively debate and elicited useful information at the same time.

All suggestions have been noted and I will follow the advice as best I can and report any problems/stumbling blocks.

I already use CCleaner weekly and the Piriform Defraggler monthly. I also use Firefox 4 beta 6 and the WOT safe search.

The next thing on my to do list is to buy MBAM Pro,use Hosts Manager or something similar and keep a weather eye on File Hippo for those all important updates. I did rely upon Secunia PSI for patches etc..but since installing

KIS the Secunia program didn't work very well at all.

OK, I've some reading to do,thanks again everyone.

Regards,

TerryFP.

I use FileHippo.com Update Checker

What is it?

The Update Checker will scan your computer for installed software, check the versions and then send this information to FileHippo.com to see if there are any newer releases. These are then neatly displayed in your browser for you to download. Please note that not all programs are supported.

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker