Malwarebytes startup in Win 7

spiritme

Hi all,

I have purchased as copy of Malwarebytes and have selected the have the 'Protection' module running in the background.

One problem, every-time I boot, a Win 7 'user account ' windows appears asking ifs its Ok to run this program. This obviously requires users interaction. If I'm not at my computer when it boots... then the window disappears and Malwarebytes does not load.

I run as Admin and all of the .exe files in the malwarebytes install folder are set to run as Admin.

Can anyone please help me to get Win 7 and Malwarebytes to run upon boot (without the user account window popping up)?

I run 64bit Win 7 Prof and MSE.

Thanks

James

Hello spiritme: :welcome:

You have to configure Automatic Updates and Schedule Scans you may like to check How To Use The New Scheduler

Additionally, please add following exclusions in MSE for MBAM

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Should you have any other question(s) please post back using MXyBj.png button

Edit: to accommodate noknojon's reply

Hi Guys ,

Thank for your replys.

noknojon - yes Malwarebytes was setup as per 'How to Set up and Use the Scheduler '

Haider - I added those exclusions to MSE and upon re-boot it did not fix my problem.

Today upon booting, Win 7 displayed the 'user account ' box , which disappeared in a few seconds, resulting in Malwarebytes not loading.

Can you please provide some more advise

Thanks

James

Please try the following to see if it helps:

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Greetings :)

Some of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's executables are not meant to run with administrative privileges, particularly when it comes to the protection module. Please go to the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware program folder in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) if using an x64 version of Windows then do the following:

• Right-click on mbamgui.exe and select Properties
  • Click on the Compatibility tab and uncheck the box next to Run this program as an administrator and click Apply then click OK
  • Right-click on mbamservice.exe and select Properties
  • Click on the Compatibility tab and uncheck the box next to Run this program as an administrator and click Apply then click OK

These executables do not need to be set to run as admin because mbamservice.exe already runs with SYSTEM level privileges as a service, which automatically bypasses User Account Control and actually gives the protection module higher than administrative privileges.

Please post back and let us know if the issue is now resolved or not.