My Network Connections Folder is empty. Can't connect to the net. Antivirus/Firewall some how disabled along with my Sound Control Panel...No sound.

daveusmc

• Root Admin

Please run the following scans and I'll get to them as soon as I can. I will be out of town for a few days though so probably cannot start till Monday

STEP 01

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

STEP 02

Provide System Specifications:

• Please download Speccy from here and save the installer to your desktop or another location where you can easily find it.
  • Double-click the file to begin installation and follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation and make sure that the checkbox next to Run Speccy is checked before you click on Finish at the end.
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm
  • Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

STEP 03

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Wait a second. I think I see it right there in the DDS logs. It shows your network card as disabled. (Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller)

Click on START - RUN and type in mmc devmgmt.msc and make sure all of your Network cards are enabled and don't have either yellow or red indicators.

If all shows okay then try downloading and installing a new driver from Broadcom - this one should work for you.

What model of Dell is this computer?

The Broadcom was disabled only because I was disconnected from the net. It will always be in the red in ''device manager''. Once I connect, I'm showing ''green''. Both browsers of mine work fine, so why should I run the Cintrip? Do you see damage still? I'll run it if I really need to. Was confused as of what I need to check off before running this fix. Should I check all boxes?

Also, I'll download the Broadcom drivers to desktop for later, that is if I really need to install the driver. I'll wait for your reply.

My Dell is a P 4 Prescott desktop, 550, XPS Gen 4.

• Root Admin

That is based on your reply above

When returning to Normal Mode-Win XP SP3, I see a ''red x'' on my Creative Volume Control and My Network Connections folder is empty

If that is not the case then aside from a volume control issue (which doing a full removal and re-install of the Creative Software should fix)

What issue do you have starting in Normal Mode still?

Just want to ask a question on the keyboard shortcut keys for my Dell multi-media keyboard. I noticed after whatever MS Updates I've installed, why have I lost my volume control and all of my shortcut keys? I've researched this and found other complaints. Reinstalling Creative didn't do anything. Dell says ''get another keyboard''. Like WTH? Some support I said. Then when we do updates again, and there's no telling what updates and when we install them, will our crap get wiped out again. Now, we use the volume control knob along with the shortcut keys daily. This is in no way is affiliated with the Creative Settings '' in any manner. Been through all of that. Any advice or work around's on this ?

Regards'

DJ

• Root Admin

The Creative advice was to restore the volume control you said was missing is all.

For the multimedia keyboard not working well that one can be nearly impossible to fix because it's not documented (at least not that I can find) what drivers really go with which keyboard set and installing the wrong one does nothing to fix it.

In the future just remember to NEVER install any Hardware Drivers that Microsoft Update says it found. Always go to the MFG site and try to find an update if you think you really need one, or ignore it if all seems to be working well for you.

Create some Restore Points and use ERUNT to back up the registry each time before testing Keyboard drivers and if they don't work then remove and restore the registry back.

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Ok, so I'm good? I think the small stuff will be restored after I redo windows os.....way down the road. You don't suggest a inplace restore? I don't recall what you told me previously. Will this wipe out the operating sys. entirely, or just fix what's broken? I've backed up my flight sims and the rest.

DJ

• Root Admin

A system restore could be disastrous at this point. An in-place repair can fix missing or changed files and some registry entries but it would also make you then have to reinstall all the Windows updates again. I'm not sure what you're really wanting here. You say that the system is working okay now so why would you want to do anything else to it if just the keyboard drivers are not working?

I think I'm in the clear. All works fine. Sometimes we just have to use work arounds for a while until something really just shits! As for the keyboard problem, I'll just have to keep looking. No drivers here...simpy usb and plug and play. So I don't know what update did a number on our key boards. Thanks a lot for your support!!!

Would you give support for a 1999 Dell TPS 500? It runs but locks up constantly, even after restoring the operating system. Ran a Dell diagnostics test on ALL and everything passed. I'm lost here! I'm aware I'll have to repost for this.

Regards,

DJ