Manual update site

On site link to updates in the FAQ section (item #4)

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

• Windows XP and 2000
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

You can also download a manual update from here - NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program

**NOTE: Please note though that this should be a last resort and if at all possible you should attempt to download updates from within the program.

Once the system is clean and stable again you should update again from within the program.

:welcome::blink:

my links are live both direct links to the manual update download work

you have to download mbam-rules.exe double click it and it will update the definitions for you

if this doesn't work for you you may have malware or another issue blocking the update I recommend you Have An Expert Check It Out

please follow All the instructions below and an Expert will assist you

• Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.
  • Then post a NEW topic here.
    One of the Expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic

and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
    Or
  • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

Additionally

As a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via this help desk link Here -

Our online experts will be able to assess your problem further

If you're a Corporate or Technician Licensed customer seeking assistance:

Please send an email to Corporate Support Team <corporate-support@malwarebytes.org> with your Cleverbridge order reference number and they will assist you.

I am having problem updating MB. I tried to update and when the update started to load, I got the "Blue Screen of Death" ... windows is shutting down to protect PC from harm etc.

So if I copy the "rules.ref" file from a machine with the latest update and replace same file on my machine I am trying to clean, I will have latest MB update database?

Here are the instructions to do this manually, the links provide earlier do work by the way.....

Manual Update of Definition Database

If you cannot update the database to the latest version within the MBAM window, you may follow the instructions below and update it manually:

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

• Windows XP and 2000
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

You can also download a manual update from HERE -

***NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program.

**NOTE: Please note though that this should be a last resort and if at all possible you should attempt to download updates from within the program.

Once the system is clean and stable again you should update again from within the program.

I am clicking on the link that you all posted, it send me here ---> http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe which doesn't work. It brings up a page that says server not found. I have tried it on a day old imac, my pc, my android cell phone with all the same results.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong?

my links are live both direct links to the manual update download work they should start the download

you have to download mbam-rules.exe double click it and it will update the definitions for you

if this doesn't work for you you may have malware or another issue blocking the update I recommend you Have An Expert Check It Out

please follow All the instructions below and an Expert will assist you

• Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.
  • Then post a NEW topic here.
    One of the Expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic

and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
    Or
  • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

Additionally

As a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via this help desk link Here -

Our online experts will be able to assess your problem further

If you're a Corporate or Technician Licensed customer seeking assistance:

Please send an email to Corporate Support Team <corporate-support@malwarebytes.org> with your Cleverbridge order reference number and they will assist you.

Hi droidtn -

I just clicked on the links left by wildman424 , both of them are active -

The FAQ link takes me directly to the correct area - Issue #4 is the item you are looking for -

If you are using I.E. 8 , please click on the "compatibility view" link at the end of the address bar -

Thank You -

sorry guys. I have no idea what to do. I have now tried 2 PC's one with XP another with windows 7, a mac and my phone. None of them will download anything from those links. if I simply left click is brings up a server not found page. If I right click in firefox, ie or safari they all say cannot download because the server doesn't exist. That's also from 2 different networks/locations.

A quick check is to follow this item and tell me the results -

Please download and run the traceroute utility at this link. It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Note that it may take several minutes to run, and it may look like it is not doing anything for a few minutes. Normally it takes longer when there are errors that it has to log, but it's rare for it to go more than 10 minutes.

The final 2 lines should read -

Name: edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Address: 68.232.45.133

If not then you are being redirected -

A quick check is to follow this item and tell me the results -

Please download and run the traceroute utility at this link. It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Note that it may take several minutes to run, and it may look like it is not doing anything for a few minutes. Normally it takes longer when there are errors that it has to log, but it's rare for it to go more than 10 minutes.

The final 2 lines should read -

If not then you are being redirected -

This the the reply that I received from the traceroute program.

Traceroute Malwarebytes CDN version 1.5

Mon 10/18/2010

9:00:52.78

Phase #1

Tracerouting: data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Server: UnKnown

Address: 213.109.65.26

============================================================

Phase #2

Tracerouting: llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Phase #3

Tracerouting: edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Finished at: 9:00:54.23

That traceroute log shows a DNS issue, and it's possible that your DNS settings have been hijacked.

Try this - It is general solution that works most times -

You may want to copy/paste this to notepad as you will disconnect from the Internet for a while -

1. Very important: First disconnect your computer from the Internet. Just Log Off- while you reset the router -

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

• NOTE: To help prevent the router from getting hijacked again, make sure you change the default password to the router and also secure your wireless connection.

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your Internet connection:

Download this Microsoft Item

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Run or press Windows Logo+R
  • In the command window copy/paste the following:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh winsock reset

• Then hit enter and a black box will flash .
  • Exit the command window.
    5 Update: Try to update to the latest version
    NOTE:
    This is what we are looking for -

Thank You -

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PowerPenguin -

I am sorry but the latest updates are created at least several times every day - Database update is 5019 (as I type) - (5012 , 6 hours ago I think)

This can change in the next hour or maybe not for 4 or 5 hours -

Unless you have someone with a flash drive running back and forwards , then you can never update 100% outside the program -

If you do not have the paid version of Malwarebytes , then you will always need to go online , open Malwarebytes , and just click Update -

Thank You -