Microsoft Security Essentials & Malwarebytes.

Good morning. This is my first post in this forum. I am a 'senior citizen' and at present use AVG Internet Security coupled with Malwarebytes for my pc protection. Next month my AVG licence expires and I fear that the renewal fee will not be affordable on my state pension. So, I am now looking to, possibly MSE for my overall pc protection and still use my 'full blown' Malwarebytes alongside it. However, I have been told that MSE and Malwarebytes will not be compatible. Can someone provide a definitive answer to my dilemma, please?

Hello Finknottle: :(

"I have been told that MSE and Malwarebytes will not be compatible" is a misleading statement, however, you'd need to add exclusions to avoid any conflicts, you'll notice a lot of forum members are using one of these (listed in alphabetical order)

1. avast
  2. AVIRA
  3. Microsoft Security Essentials

Please post back using MXyBj.png button following information and someone will help you for exclusions:

1. OS version including 32/64-bit
  2. Firewall

On a side note I am using MSE alongside MBAM real-time protection on completely patched XP SP3 Professional without any problem

Hello Finknottle:

Once you decide to make a switch when AVG expires, someone will help you, the paths is same (being OS dependent):

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

In the meantime reading Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, Frequently Asked Questions would give you a head-start

I have Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit OS and MBAM full works well with avast! anti virus and is free.

One of our helpers here nonoknojon uses MSE.

Make sure you completely remove AVG before installing either avast! or MSE.

I too am a 'senior citizen'

We've noticed that Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware both running real-time protection on Windows XP at the same time have a tendency to cause your computer to freeze. It's possible that this happens in 32-bit editions of Windows Vista and Windows 7, but they have really only been tested together on the 64-bit editions of those operating systems. Below is detailed a quick solution to any potential freezing issues (performing these steps is a must for Windows XP users).

You can go HERE for instructions on how to add exceptions to your MSE Antivirus. The files that need to be excluded are also shown in the example in that page....