Right click fails on tray icon, and Add to Ignore list always greyed out

This topic is related to another topic I started a couple days ago which was partially resolved. The IP blocking in that topic is resolved.

Now, this new topic is for the right click issue and Add to ignore list menu greyed out.

See: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=64136 for the description of the right clickin issue and greyed out issue.

The following is quoted from that topic:

The problem I am now having (with the previous version also) is that right click on the Malwarebytes icon in the tray stops working a couple of minutes after reboot, and only on this icon. So, if I reboot the machine, the right click does work for a bit, then not at all after a short time.

Also, the "Add to Ignore List" is always greyed out, no matter what.

I tried reboot, open a browser (same thing in IE and FF and Chrome), go to educationcanada.com, then get a cannot connect message, then right click fast before it doesn't work, and the "Add to Ignore List" is greyed out.

This just started about two weeks ago or less, and I believe it was because of an update. ...

No matter what, I can't access the right click menu for MB in the tray except immediately after reboot, and the "Add to Ignore List" is always greyed out.

Just one more weird thing, after a couple of hours, the right click on the Malwarebytes tray icon will work, then I will try to access educationcanada.com which can't be connected to, then the right click on the MB icon will fail to load. Also, cannot start Malwarebytes from tray icon when this happens so I have to use the icon in Start Menu.

I figured out after the IP block fix that the right click issue and greyed out issue has nothing to do with the IP block issue.

In a nut shell, right click on the Malwarebytes tray icon works for a few minutes after reboot, then fails to work, and when I can access the menu, the "Add to ignore list" menu is always greyed out, even when an IP is blocked.

As you can see from the previous topic I started, I completely removed Malwarebytes and reinstalled it clean, so the issue is obviously something in Windows 7. My Windows XP machine works fine with the right click on the MB system tray.

Hello Canukhed:

MBAM by NO means is a substitute of an AV, I'd suggest installing an AV and running a full scan with it. Depending on OS you have to exclude certain files from AV to have real-time protection without any conflicts, I hope you have already allowed mbam.exe in your hardware based firewall

You have mentioned "removing the older version with Revo uninstaller" (in other thread), I am not sure how effective it is in this particular instance as we recommend mbam-clean.exe for this purpose

Should you have any other question(s) please post back using MXyBj.png button

I have AVG besides, daily scans, but turned off during this issue I am having with Malwarebytes just for testing for conflicts.

Revo is pretty good, but I will try mbam-clean.exe you suggested and go from there.

I allowed Malwarebytes in my firewall so I will see what happens.

Give me a day or two and I'll report back the results.

Server 2008 64, all good

Windows XP 32 on Vmware, all good

Windows 7 Ultimate 64, no right click, greyed ignore list menu.

Today, though, the right click and the ignore list menu started working when I turned AVG back on. I tested with http://iptest.malwarebytes.org/ test site which was in the Add to ignore list menu, but I did not select it. Maybe temporary. Maybe a coincidence. A full scan has shown no malware. But, a false positive (I believe) was found in the eboostr program I had running. It was never detected by AVG before so maybe an update detected something. AVG is well known for extra false positives to be on the safe side.

AVG version is newest free 2011 edition. Also, I installed the new AVG linkscanner 2011 edition last night.

You might consider temporarily un-installing AVG and using another anti-virus program until this is resolved. If interested, I will post you my recommendation for a different free AV program for you to use until this is fixed.

Do you believe yourself to be infected at all though?

Thanks, garybear for the link. I did finally see that the menu darkened with the IP blocking, but this only started to work after uninstalling and reinstalling with a new MB version file. I just wish there was a permanent list in that menu that I could go to any time I want to block/unblock an IP at will.

noknojon, mountaintree16

I just installed AVG 2011 when posting this topic. I had the previous version installed for a long time and uninstalled it a few months ago. The right click problem started with no AVG installed. The problem with the right click not working at all started when no other security or third party related apps were installed. Upon installing the newest AVG version, I also uninstalled Malwarebytes completely, and reinstalled with the new downloaded file, and now both the right click work and the Ignore list menu doesn't stay greyed out when blocking an IP. I did daily updates up till then, so maybe the newest file from Malwarebytes fixed the issue.

In the end, my right click is now working, and the Ignore list doesn't stay greyed out when an IP is block. For whatever reason, this problem is solved. Maybe it was the updated install file from Malwarebytes.

Thanks all for your input.

• Root Admin

Older versions of the product did not support right click scan on x64 systems. Its possible that an update was able to correct as the program does now support it.

If you are having an ongoing issue with right click then running the following may correct it.

Please do the following to see if it resolves the issue:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Guest garybear

"I did finally see that the menu darkened with the IP blocking, but this only started to work after uninstalling and reinstalling with a new MB version file. I just wish there was a permanent list in that menu that I could go to any time I want to block/unblock an IP at will.

Hi friend!! You get my vote. I have asked for this also, but I haven't gotten any response.

You are welcome my friend. I'm glad you got it fixed and read my topic. I started it after reading your topic about Add to ignore being grayed out. I love my MBAM!! :(

@Garybear

Have you had your answer before. And another detail MBAM is not a firewall. As far as I know, you use a firewall, a good firewall, it is his duty to prevent these connection attempts, unless you're allowing them access. Contact the support service for your firewall.

Guest garybear
@Garybear

Have you had your answer before. And another detail MBAM is not a firewall. As far as I know, you use a firewall, a good firewall, it is his duty to prevent these connection attempts, unless you're allowing them access. Contact the support service for your firewall.

Hi friend. If you have read my posts here on the forum, you would know I have a firewall. I have Online Armor and it's a good one. MBAM is a different ball game and is doing all together some thing different. Together they are a team, doing every thing I expect and want them to do. Some day members will understand there are unfriendly country's and hackers pinging and trying to steal information from your PC and maybe even worse things. Thanks for your post. :welcome::blink:

• 1 year later...

Hi, 1010:

FWIW, this is an old, stale thread with an older version of MBAM. :(

There's no need to cross-post. :)

In the interest of reducing confusion and forum clutter, please stay with your original topic -- it has been a long, holiday weekend in the US (where MBAM folks are based). So, folks are likely quite busy trying to catch up.

I'm sure AdvancedSetup will be back to help you in your other topic soon.

Please be patient.

Thanks very much!

daledoc1