Quarantine Question

Last night I deleted some files from my C:\USERS folder. I thought they were all to do with Open Office (which I had uninstalled just before this). One of the deleted files was called 'Setup.exe' which was for installing a Java update (20). The Setup.exe file had been in that folder for a while.

Anyway, this morning I switched on the computer and had just started doing a couple of things when a popup from MBAM opened up telling me it was blocking a Trojan called 'Setup.exe' and offered me the option to quarantine, which is what I did. When I looked in the log files I saw this;

09:22:33 xxxxx MESSAGE Protection started successfully

09:22:36 xxxxx MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

09:27:37 xxxxx DETECTION C:\USERS\xxxxx\SETUP.EXE Trojan.Agent QUARANTINE

09:27:38 xxxxx ERROR Quarantine failed: UtilityReadFile failed with error code 2

09:27:39 xxxxx DETECTION C:\USERS\xxxxx\SETUP.EXE Trojan.Agent DENY

09:28:01 xxxxx DETECTION C:\USERS\xxxxx\SETUP.EXE Trojan.Agent DENY

There is nothing in the Quarantine window

Looking through the FAQ's, it looks to me as if this error code means the file cannot be found, presumably because I've deleted it.

A full scan with MSE and also with MBAM show nothing. I'm running Win7 64bit.

Can anyone advise if there's a problem that needs fixed?

Hello dawiba,

Please standby and see next reply

There's no enough information to make a judgement. I would recommend a checkup in our sub-forum for Malware Removal.

Set Folder options to show all hidden files and folders:

• Click the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.jpg, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Personalization, and then click Folder Options.
  • Click the View tab.
  • Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Please post there Gmer.txt log

the DDS logs

Don't post your logs here.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Greetings :welcome:

Please do the following:

Fix Detection of Files That do Not Exist in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

Note: This fix will not work to correct any similar issues on Windows XP nor should it be run on any operating systems besides Windows Vista or Windows 7.

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    net stop SysMain
    sc config SysMain start= disabled
    shutdown -r -t 10
    del /f /q %0

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Fix 1.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop but DO NOT run it yet
  • Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    del /f /q /a /s "%windir%\Prefetch"
    sc config SysMain start= auto
    net start SysMain
    del /f /q %0

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file Fix 2.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop but DO NOT run it yet
  • Right-click on Fix 1.bat and select Run as administrator then click Continue at the User Account Control prompt.
  • Your PC will automatically restart after it runs so be sure to save anything you were working on before running it.
  • Once your PC starts up again, right-click on Fix 2.bat and select Run as administrator then click Continue at the User Account Control prompt.
  • The issue should now be resolved.

Please let me know if the issue is now corrected or not.

Thank you for all the responses.

My computer seems to be running just fine. The popup only appeared that one time and hasn't come back. I followed the instructions from exile360 earlier on today and the computer is working just fine after running for a few hours.

Thank you all for your patience and help