Malwarebytes causes Acronis True Image 10 to freeze PC.

This problem can be fixed by doing the following:

In the Select Image screen, after selecting the image to mount, click on the "drive letter" toward the bottom left corner of the screen, under "Optional Steps". After clicking there, there will be a check box to the right of "drive letter" that says "mount the partitions in the read-write mode". Check that box, and then click "proceed". That will fix it. :lol:

Dave,

I have recently discovered this same problem with my copy of Acronis True Image 9.0 (and MBAM PRO 1.50). But I can't find the option you've suggested in my version of ATI. Do you know if there's an equivalent workaround in ATI 9.0? In my version, I select the image to plug in a screen titled "Backup Archive Exploring". But there's no "Optional Steps" anywhere on that screen or the next one.

Many thanks,

Ruth

The versions of Acronis TI Home known to be susceptible are 10, 2009, (in all likelihood 2010) and certainly 2011.

With al00's post above, and my own recent experience, you can add Acronis TI v8 and v9.0 to the list. My first thought was that my version of ATI must be too old, and I was about to upgrade to the latest version in a bid to resolve this issue. I'm glad that I googled the problem first, and found this forum entry. Clearly I would have been no better off with the latest version of True Image.

But, given that Malwarebytes were alerted to this issue in v1.45, I'm disappointed to find that the issue is still there in MBAM v1.50. And I'm surprised that more people haven't complained about the issue. Are there really so few of us using MBAM PRO and Acronis True Image (and XP SP3)? Or it is just that no-one else has connected the issue to MBAM?

If any of the earlier posters is aware of any updates to this issue, I'd appreciate it if they could add a posting.

Many thanks,

Ruth

Dell XPS M1710; Intel Core2 T7200 2GHZ, 3.25Gb RAM, Win XP Home SP3, McAfee AntiVirus Plus (v15.0?); Acronuis True Image 9.0 build 2,302; MBAM PRO 1.50

Hello Windy,

Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Use OTL:

• Get OTL From
HERE
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change the following settings
Change Drivers to All
Change Standard Registry to All
Under File Scans, change File age to 30
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thank you very much!

Hello Windy,

Please Download OTL to your Desktop ...

Hello Mainard,

Can I ask what this application does? Is it checking my laptop for malware? I am certain that my machine is clean, as I have just (yesterday) rebuilt it from scratch with a new hard drive. The only things I have installed so far are:

- Windows XP, upgraded to SP3, with all Windows Updates

- The necessary hardware drivers

- McAfee AntiVirus Plus (latest version, downloaded yesterday)

- MBAM PRO 1.50

- Firefox 4.0.1

- Cyberlink PowerDVD XP

- Acronis TrueImage 9.0

Thanks,

Ruth

Hello Windy,

OTL is a multipurpose tool. It will check installed application, as well as installed services and drivers. I need to see how your system is set up to be able to diagnose what is causing the issue.

The latest Acronis software is Acronis True Image Home 2011. Installing this latest version and having MBAM 1.50 PRO installed on a system I was able to create many backups with no issue.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask :) The OTL log will help me get a better understanding of your system.

Thank you very much!

The latest Acronis software is Acronis True Image Home 2011. Installing this latest version and having MBAM 1.50 PRO installed on a system I was able to create many backups with no issue.

Hi Mainard,

The issue is not with *creating* the Acronis backups. I can also do this without any problem. I can also successfully *check* the created archive. And I can restore individual files from the backup image. The issue, for myself and for other posters above (with *all* versions of True Image, from v8 up to 2001), is that we are unable to *PLUG* the created image, in order to browse the backed up folders & files. Acronis shows "assigning letter to partition 1 of 1" and then hangs indefinitely on that message. I have to End Task in Task Manager in order to get out of this screen.

Please can you check whether you are able to plug your created backup images? I note that all of the posters above (myself included) are running Win XP SP3. So this might be a contributing factor.

I will run OTL, as requested (although, unfortunately, I have installed several more apps on my laptop today).

Regards,

Ruth

Hello Windy,

In addition to the OTL log Please: Create a Process Monitor Log:

• Create a new folder on your desktop called Logs
  • Please download Process Monitor from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on Procmon.exe to run it
  • In Process Monitor, click on File at the top and select Backing Files...
  • Click the circle to the left of Use file named: and click the ... button
  • Browse to the Logs folder you just created and type MBAM Log in the File name: box and click Save
  • Exit Process Monitor and open it again so that it starts creating the logs
  • Re-Create the issue.
  • Close Process Monitor
  • Right-click on the Logs folder on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the Logs.zip file you just created to your next reply

Thank you very much!

Hello Mainard,

Here are the OTL and ProcMon log files, as requested.

I opened ProcMon immediately before clicking on "Proceed" to assign the drive letter for my plugged Acronis image. I left Acronis sitting at the "assigning drive letter to partition 1 of 1" message for just a few seconds before doing End Task on the Acronis application in Task Manager, and then closed ProcMon. I then had to power off the laptop (it wouldn't shut down). But the log file seems to be readable.

I hope these help to track down the cause of the problem.

Thanks,

RuthMBAM Log.zip

OTL.Txt

Extras.Txt

Hello Windy,

Thank you for not only your logs but your patience :)

Here is a step-by-step using Acronis Home 2011 to mount an image while MBAM PRO is installed.

1. Click on 'Mount Image'
    post-60618-0-95083400-1305667746.png
  2. Select the image you wish to mount then click 'Next'
    post-60618-0-00372700-1305667752.png
  3. Click 'Options'
    post-60618-0-89181000-1305667757.png
  4. Check the option 'Mount the partitions in the read-write mode' then click 'Proceed'.
    post-60618-0-75124100-1305667763.png

If you have any questions please feel free to ask :)

Thank you very much!

Here is a step-by-step using Acronis Home 2011 to mount an image while MBAM PRO is installed.

f you have any questions please feel free to ask :)

Hello Mainard,

Thanks for this. However, since I am using True Image v9, not 2011, I must repeat my original questions, namely -

1. Is there an equivalent 'workaround' for True Image v9 (An earlier poster, Dave Schimmel, had already posted this workaround for TI 2011)? And

2. Why have Malwarebytes not resolved this conflict, since they were first alerted to it in v1.45 and the software is now up to v1.50? (I don't personally understand what opening an Acronis image in R/W mode means, but I note that rmgalley above suggests that this workaround is a far from ideal solution. So I would hope that Malwarebytes are working on a proper fix for this?)

Thanks,

Ruth

Hello Windy,

1. Is there an equivalent 'workaround' for True Image v9 (An earlier poster, Dave Schimmel, had already posted this workaround for TI 2011)?

I do not have access to True Image v9 (it was released in 2005). Unfortunately I cannot work with that software specifically. I know that Acronis by default sets the image into read-only mode and while mbamservice.exe is running you will need to mount the image in read-write mode.

2. Why have Malwarebytes not resolved this conflict, since they were first alerted to it in v1.45 and the software is now up to v1.50? (I don't personally understand what opening an Acronis image in R/W mode means, but I note that rmgalley above suggests that this workaround is a far from ideal solution. So I would hope that Malwarebytes are working on a proper fix for this?)

This is being looked further into. I will keep this topic updated once I hear of a solution.

My suggestion is to upgrade to the latest version of their software and utilize the workaround.

Again, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

*-EDIT-*

With Acronis True Image 2012 there is no longer an issue with MBAM.

Edited by Mainard
Added New Information

• 7 months later...

Hi all, Problem and solution here....read on! I had been thinking something nasty with my old windows xp setup not keeping up with the times and not being able to use my old true image 8 because of this problem. So I upgraded very recently to a new laptop and windows xp, only to find I still had the same problem even when installing an upgrade 2012 true image on the new win 7 system and a new trial on my old xp laptop, if anything the old version 8 was a bit quicker! So it was paid version Malwarebytes all along that has been the problem. By coinicidence Malwarebytes has had a big version upgrade today. I have updated it and I don't know whether this would have been true before but if you right click it down in the system tray and deactivate all three ticks, [one of which was to start with windows], then restart Windows [7 in my case] I am able to mount an image on an external hard disc of an xp partition tib which I wasn't able to before before disabling the Malwarebytes. So this is good news that we don't need to take the trouble of unistalling and cleaning out Malwarebytes after all, which is great because it is one of the best anti virus devices out there and doesn't hog resources. Last two years I used only Malwarebytes and the Windows firewall on my xp system despite the recommendation to use additional protection, and it intercepted a few viruses on websites but my system didn't get a single infection despite being a heavy user on the internet and used to get quite a few. I am unconnected with MB but it is fair to discourage you all from dispensing with such effective and good value life long protection, as this little work around is very easy, remember to switch on again afterwards!

Best regards, Al

Hello al00,

Upgrading to the latest version of Acronis (Acronis True Image 2012) will not cause a compatibility issue with MBAM's Protection Module.

Furthermore the workaround for 2011 was posted within this topic HERE.

Thank you.