Malwarebytes causes Acronis True Image 10 to freeze PC.

For some time now I have been unable to mount a partition image using Acronis True Image 10. I have just performed a fresh install of Windows XP SP3 and the problem persists.

I have systematically uninstalled all security software and re-introduced until the problem returned. I have tracked down the problem to Malwarebytes. I am able to mount Acronis images as virtual partitions in the unregistered version of Malwarebytes. After entering my registration details Acronis functions OK provided I do not I enable 'Protection'.

Once protection is enabled Acronis will not mount an image as a virtual partition. After the Acronis message 'Assigning drive letters was successfully completed' the hourglass remains indefinitely and the PC eventually freezes. I cannot shut the PC down normally and I have to press the reset button.

If, after rebooting, I untick all the component parts of 'Protection' (Start ... , Start ... , Start ... , Show ... ) the 'Enable Protection Module' box remains ticked but greyed out. This still does not allow Acronis to function correctly and the only solution I have found is to un-install Malwarebytes and then re-install without enabling 'Protection'.

I haven't been able to find any option to exclude Acronis from the Protection Module. Has anyone any ideas?

Further to the above I have now established Malwarebytes v1.44 does not cause the problem with Acronis. I can enable Protection mode and still have functionality. Unfortunately this version is too old to allow updates to be downloaded. The problems start with v1.45. It seems as if explorer is being frozen.

Well, since my last post I have checked out Macrium Reflect and the trial version of Acronis TI Home 2011 for conflicts with Malwarebytes with 'Protection' enabled.

There were no conflicts with Macrium but there were with Acronis TI Home 2011. With Acronis, when attempting to mount an image, I discovered the freeze begins when 'Assigning letters to partitions appears'. This message hangs for about 1 minute before 'confirmation of success' appears. However, this time I had the 'My Computer' window open and the mounted partition did not appear at any point despite the success message.

I also became aware that, from thereon if I attempted to open any folder, the hourglass would appear for about a second, then disappear without the request being actioned. This includes the 'Start' button to shut down the PC. However already opened windows could be closed with the exception of the Acronis UI. Not everyone is suffering this problem but it is strange as it is happening with me with a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP3.

Hi -

Try this method of removing/reinstalling to see if there is another program conflict -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note : At this stage try to update and run Malwarebytes - Do not follow the bottom instructions until the pgogram will run -

Once the program has done a Quick Scan only , with your A/V disabled , then add your registration as below -

This is only to check if there is any conflict between your A/V and Malwarebytes -

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Paid version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :welcome:

Thanks noknojon,

I am now back with Acronis TI Home 10 having uninstalled the Home 2011 trial. I have carried out the procedure you suggest to the letter with my Avira Antivir Premium disabled on all three counts (Guard, Mailguard, Webguard). I didn't really expect the anti-virus was responsible as, at an early stage in my investigation while I was off-line, it was uninstalled.

The only potential flag during the first Quick Scan was a registry reference 'HijackControlPanelStyle' which related to my choice of classic control panel.

The problem occurs with Acronis when attempting to mount an image at the point where, at the 'Operation 1 of 1 - Assigning Logical Drive Letter', the 'Proceed' button is pressed.

Now 'Perdido Beach' on the Acronis forum (http://forum.acronis.com/forum/15002#comment-45123) has discovered the exact same as myself using Acronis TI Home 2011. As discovered earlier today, Malwarebytes v 1.44 does not exhibit the problem so it has only been around for about the past 6 months.

I am using Acronis Home 2011 on my XP Pro system without problems but it is terribly slow to finish any configuration changes. :welcome:

How much RAM does the system have and what is the processor type and speed?

OK, some information about my system exhibiting the problem.

MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum motherboard (MS-7125 1.0)

AMD Athlon 64 x" 4800+ processor (2.4GHz)

3.00 GB RAM

Security software installed

Avira AntiVir Premium

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Spybot S & D

SpywareBlaster

SUPERAntispyware

Windows Defender

Anvir Task Manager

Currently only using the MS Windows Firewall (PC Tools Firewall Plus uninstalled during this investigation)

OK, some information about my system exhibiting the problem.

MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum motherboard (MS-7125 1.0)

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ processor (2.4GHz) - processor type clarified.

3.00 GB RAM

Security software installed

Avira AntiVir Premium

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Spybot S & D

SpywareBlaster

SUPERAntispyware

Windows Defender

Anvir Task Manager

Currently only using the MS Windows Firewall (PC Tools Firewall Plus uninstalled during this investigation)

I do not use Anvir Task Manager, Spybot S & D nor Windows Defender on my XP Pro system.

I prefer WinPatrol for Task management that works well with MBAM and Avira AntiVir Premium.

WinPatrol Free vs Pro:

http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

Anvir Task Manager is blocked by my hpHosts file:

http://hosts-file.net/?s=www.anvir.com&x=35&y=9 <==

I use Windows XP SP3 and Acronis True Image version 8. Also having the freezing problem when trying to explore an image. Used to work ok. I did install the free Malware Bytes but uninstalled now and still got the problem. I have uninstalled Acronis True Image including parts of it in the registry as recommended, and reinstalled but still the problem persists. The worst thing is that there has been no warning at all, images validate, but I have no assurance that they have actually been successful. False sense of security. I know this is an old version of T.I. but I am still using XP so believe it is appropriate for the system, and even heard it was one of the best versions as so often happens when programs get bloated to cope with the latest extras and chunkier operating systems, oh for some old fashioned simplicity! Maybe the hanging business is due to a windows update problem, or clash with another driver. I think the crux of the problem is with the Acronis Timounter which is supposed to mount the image for exploring. The fact it happens with old and new versions suggests it is probably a problem with a fundamental part of the software.

Regards, A.

Help is available through the publisher's Web site, but novices might still have trouble navigating the busy interface during the 20-day trial. AnVir Task Manager Pro works, but it doesn't seem to offer much of an incentive to upgrade from the free version.
This is from one of the larger download sites that handles the Anvir Task Mamager program -

The first thing to do is usually start uninstalling the programs that you have added on , and see when your system starts to improve -

Take it back to Avira A/Virus and slowly begin to introduce only one item at a time - You seem a bit crowded for an XP , even with 3 Gig -

Thanks -

This evening I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP3 having backed up my recently installed version (of last week) with ATIH 10 (and also Macrium Reflect). As two of my HDDs are Western Digital I was able to install on this evenings installation the WD version which is based on ATIH 2009.

I was working off-line with no firewall other than the MS Windows one. I had no anti-virus installed and, apart from ATIH 2009(WD), I had only installed Malwarebytes v1.44 - there was no other security software installed. With this version there were no conflicts with Acronis. I went through the Malwarebytes uninstall process, rebooting and then used their dedicated uninstall tool and rebooted again. Then I installed Malwarebytes v1.45 (not the latest version). Once again, with this version, the conflict with the Acronis mounting process was back freezing the PC.

So we now know the conflict occurs with Malwarebytes v1.45 onwards with 'Protection' mode activated. Once 'Protection' has been activated it is not possible to deactivate such that Acronis works again correctly. The versions of Acronis now known to be susceptible are 10, 2009, probably 2010 and certainly 2011. As this was a fresh install of Windows the reports that not everyone is affected may mean there is a hardware element to the problem.

In my case MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum motherboard (MS-7125 1.0), AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ processor (2.4GHz), 3.00 GB RAM, 2 x 1 TB Samsung HDDs and 2 x 1 TB Western Digital HDDs.

I use Windows XP SP3 and Acronis True Image version 8. Also having the freezing problem when trying to explore an image. Used to work ok. I did install the free Malware Bytes but uninstalled now and still got the problem. I have uninstalled Acronis True Image including parts of it in the registry as recommended, and reinstalled but still the problem persists. The worst thing is that there has been no warning at all, images validate, but I have no assurance that they have actually been successful. False sense of security. I know this is an old version of T.I. but I am still using XP so believe it is appropriate for the system, and even heard it was one of the best versions as so often happens when programs get bloated to cope with the latest extras and chunkier operating systems, oh for some old fashioned simplicity! Maybe the hanging business is due to a windows update problem, or clash with another driver. I think the crux of the problem is with the Acronis Timounter which is supposed to mount the image for exploring. The fact it happens with old and new versions suggests it is probably a problem with a fundamental part of the software.

Regards, A.

This forum site is slow today! Anyway just wanted to add that the True Images are still recording ok because have been able to mount them on another computer, just cannot mount on my computer for some reason despite reinstalling etc. So still not resolved, though do have peace of mind that making images is working.

Regards, A.

Was this Acronis True Image Home? I don't think there's a "pro" version of "True Image" in the current line-up, but it's best to make sure.

Also, I assume that Acronis True Image 10 is also Acronis True Image 2009? I have a license for that which I don't use anymore, so I could load it on a VM and test this out.

Edit: According to Amazon.com, Acronis True Image 10 has been in stock since November of 2006... Something tells me that 2009 is quite a bit newer... I'll see if I can still reproduce the issue with the 2009 version, and if not then I will search for an old download of the version 10 trial.

Also, I assume that Acronis True Image 10 is also Acronis True Image 2009? I have a license for that which I don't use anymore, so I could load it on a VM and test this out.

Edit: According to Amazon.com, Acronis True Image 10 has been in stock since November of 2006... Something tells me that 2009 is quite a bit newer... I'll see if I can still reproduce the issue with the 2009 version, and if not then I will search for an old download of the version 10 trial.

Acronis True Image Home 10 was last updated March 2007 (Build 4942). Home 2009 was available in about January 2009 and Home 2010 was in about November 2009. Home 2011 became available in September this year and is available for download as a trial.

The versions of Acronis TI Home known to be susceptible are 10, 2009, (in all likelihood 2010) and certainly 2011.

The current 'Pro' version is now called 'Backup and Recovery 10'.

Acronis True Image Home 10 was last updated March 2007 (Build 4942). Home 2009 was available in about January 2009 and Home 2010 was in about November 2009. Home 2011 became available in September this year and is available for download as a trial.

The versions of Acronis TI Home known to be susceptible are 10, 2009, (in all likelihood 2010) and certainly 2011.

The current 'Pro' version is now called 'Backup and Recovery 10'.

Thank you.

Right now I am seeing the freezing even when our protection module is off, so I need to figure out if there may be another reason for the freezing in my VM before I continue testing.

Thank you.

Right now I am seeing the freezing even when our protection module is off, so I need to figure out if there may be another reason for the freezing in my VM before I continue testing.

I have found that once Protection Mode has been enabled once - that's it - Acronis will not mount images again. It doesn't matter even if you go into Safe Mode and choose 'Do not start with Windows'. You can untick all the boxes to deselect Protection but it is like a one way process. I have found the only way to have Acronis working again correctly is to uninstall Malwarebytes (and not enable Protection).

I have found that once Protection Mode has been enabled once - that's it - Acronis will not mount images again. It doesn't matter even if you go into Safe Mode and choose 'Do not start with Windows'. You can untick all the boxes to deselect Protection but it is like a one way process. I have found the only way to have Acronis working again correctly is to uninstall Malwarebytes (and not enable Protection).

I have passed all of the information I was able to gather on to our developers. I cannot guarantee that they will have a chance to go over it before the next version is released, but they will take a look at it as soon as they can. :o

This problem can be fixed by doing the following:

In the Select Image screen, after selecting the image to mount, click on the "drive letter" toward the bottom left corner of the screen, under "Optional Steps". After clicking there, there will be a check box to the right of "drive letter" that says "mount the partitions in the read-write mode". Check that box, and then click "proceed". That will fix it. :lol:

For some time now I have been unable to mount a partition image using Acronis True Image 10. I have just performed a fresh install of Windows XP SP3 and the problem persists.

I have systematically uninstalled all security software and re-introduced until the problem returned. I have tracked down the problem to Malwarebytes. I am able to mount Acronis images as virtual partitions in the unregistered version of Malwarebytes. After entering my registration details Acronis functions OK provided I do not I enable 'Protection'.

Once protection is enabled Acronis will not mount an image as a virtual partition. After the Acronis message 'Assigning drive letters was successfully completed' the hourglass remains indefinitely and the PC eventually freezes. I cannot shut the PC down normally and I have to press the reset button.

If, after rebooting, I untick all the component parts of 'Protection' (Start ... , Start ... , Start ... , Show ... ) the 'Enable Protection Module' box remains ticked but greyed out. This still does not allow Acronis to function correctly and the only solution I have found is to un-install Malwarebytes and then re-install without enabling 'Protection'.

I haven't been able to find any option to exclude Acronis from the Protection Module. Has anyone any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
This problem can be fixed by doing the following:

In the Select Image screen, after selecting the image to mount, click on the "drive letter" toward the bottom left corner of the screen, under "Optional Steps". After clicking there, there will be a check box to the right of "drive letter" that says "mount the partitions in the read-write mode". Check that box, and then click "proceed". That will fix it. :)

Hi Dave,

I can confirm the procedure you have found works. Thank you very much for that. However I would describe it as a workaround rather than a fix. Whenever an image is mounted in read/write mode it creates a supplementary .tib file in anticipation of the changes it expects to be made. These aren't large in size when no changes have been made but it is an irritation to have to keep deleting them.

This discovery should however offer a better insight into what happened with the introduction of Malwarebytes v1.45 and facilitate a true fix. I would never normally open an Acronis archive in read/write mode and yesterday was the first time I ever did.