Malwarebytes freezes - quick and full scan

Hello,

Once again I've come to malwarebytes to help solve my problem. Though once again on another (different) system it freezes.

I only read great things about MWB, but I seem to have issues with it freezing.

I was infected by Antispy Safeguard.

I manually removed it, but wanted to make sure I removed all traces.

I downloaded latest version of Malwarebytes: 1.46 updated to 4694.

I'm running win 7 professional with all latest MS patches. I'm running Avira free for my A/V.

I started with a full scan, but that froze an hour into it, rendering computer unresponsive.

I spent at least 2 hours reading all post in this forum regarding freezing. Some are really old. More recent post seem more to do with their infection, but nothing that seems to resolve my issue.

I've emptied all my temp files.

I then disabled heuristics. Ran quick scan. Still Freezes.

The main screen indicates it has found infected objects, then gets to :

windows\system32\FXTLS300.dll - the hard drive light is on constantly and the system becomes unstable and unresponsive.

this is a file used by my accounting package: Peachtree by Sage Software.

I'd be happy to work with anyone everyday to try and figure out why it freezes.

I've given up on MWB in the past because it freezes on different machines with different flavors of windows.

Please help me once again be a BIG fan of MWB.

I appreciate any suggestion to help log or debug my problems.

This file is found in the following Company's Product(s)Sage Software, Inc.

This file is found in the following Software Application(s):Peachtree Accounting 2006

Peachtree Premium Accounting 2010

The file is a part of the software in your accounts package - From what I can find it is usually OK , unless infected -

I will check a few more areas to see if there is a way around it - You may need to add this file as Trusted or add to Ignore list -

Thank you -

@ JustSomeOne

Does the "freeze" happen if you do a Quick scan?

and as a one-time test, you may temporarily disable (turn off) Avira prior to starting MBAM.

and Q: Did this system come with any sort of free-trial MCAfee or Norton AV? which?

and if so, did you un-install those prior to installing Avira?

Answers:

Yes this freezes on the file during a quick scan.

I don't know at what file it hung during full scan. It took an hour and my first thought was maybe system went to sleep. at that time I was more focused on unfreezing it.

This was a clean install of windows 7. So no Mcaffee no Norton.

I will run with avira disabled, also will ignore file for scan and report back

Let's regroup and get more specific detail.

You mention

I was infected by Antispy Safeguard.

When was that? and what tools did you use to cleanup and to check & scan ?

and

This was a clean install of windows 7. So no Mcaffee no Norton.

Was that a wipe-clean and new install?

Did you immediately setup Avira AntiVir ?

and on the STOP exception: always write down the exact STOP code and the description shown

and then report as appropriate

AntiSpy Safeguard - malware. Most references seemed to be dated in the past 3-4 weeks.

I'm embarrassed to say I fell for their trap.

Evidently I accessed an infected web site. From my msn home page I linked to some college football article.

AntiSpy went to work. It presents itself with MS security essentials warning. It looked legit compated to those

little boxes I've seen before.

How did I stop it?

using my phone I accessed the web to follow manual steps.

I used to task manager to stop the process.

I then located it's entries in (some? not sure if all) the registry.

also deleted some files in my application data folder.

I then wanted to ensure that I got it, so that is when I downloaded and installed MWB.

I wiped the partition. then installed win7. Avira was installed within minutes after completing win7 install.

Hi -

You seem to have some infection (or at least part of it) still there - It could be a hidden file - Please follow these instructions -

If you are lucky Maurice may pick this up in the Malware removal section of the forum -

As we don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums please follow these directions -

Please print out, read and follow the directions Here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via Here

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :)

I'll be happy to become a paying member.
There is not a need to become a paying customer unless you wish to -

All our services are free to all people - Paying customers will get 1st preference , but this is up to you - This is not a sales drive -

Just follow the instructions as listed and wait for an expert to become available -

Paying customers can contact the help desk directly and get internal experts to review the cases sooner -

Thank You -