MBAM Error 12029 Can Not Update

Hello

New to Malwarebytes and mostly new to fighting virus's. I spend $250 on a IT yesterday to be told my only option is to reboot windows on our 5 computers here in my office. I am stuborn and trying to figure this out myself.

We are all running Windows XP workstations networked into a server. I believe all our computers are infected with a virus because they are all having browser issues and none of them will allow us to update our Malwarebytes and mine has had the fake virus protection site pop up several times now.

My current MBAM version 4052 has done a full scan and found nothing but I know something is in there. When trying to update I get the error code of 12029. I have tried removing the software and reistalling and it also does not update.

I am looking for help and suggestions. All are apretiated.

Thanks

Mark

post-53119-1285351183_thumb.jpg

Your updates are not current. It should be 4686+ at this time

EDIT If your Corporate? Please contact our corporate offices at the email address listed below:

corporate@malwarebytes.org

They'll be better able to assist you in this matter

If not, please post back here

the picture should have todays date on it

Your updates are not current. It should be 4686+ at this time

EDIT If your Corporate? Please contact our corporate offices at the email address listed below:

corporate@malwarebytes.org

They'll be better able to assist you in this matter

If not, please post back here

the picture should have todays date on it

Thanks, we are not corporate. Just a small business....

Would love to know how to update.

Mark

Please run this one of us will get back to you:

Here are some steps to diagnose update issues:

Step 1

Please note that if you have a version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware older than 1.46, that it will not be able to connect to our update servers. If you have an outdated version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then please click on
to be forwarded to one of our download mirrors in order to get the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. If that does not resolve the issue, then please continue on to steps 2 thru 5.

Step 2

Click on
and let me know what it says. It should be just a 4-digit number in the upper-left corner.

Step 3

If you use
Norton Internet Security
, and you have the
Add-On Pack
installed, then please note that the Add-On Pack will block the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware update process. Symantec has discontinued support for the Add-On Pack, and they have asked us to recommend to their customers that they uninstall the Add-On Pack and replace it with
. Since Norton Online Family is compatible with the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware update process, replacing the Add-On Pack with it will solve any Norton Internet Security related update issues.

Step 4

Please download and run the traceroute utility at
. It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Note that it may take several minutes to run, and it may look like it is not doing anything for a few minutes. Normally it takes longer when there are errors that it has to log, but it's rare for it to go more than 10 minutes.

Step 5

Please download TCPView from Microsoft at

This utility will monitor everything that is accessing the Internet or your local network. All you have to do is run TCPView, and then run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and start the update. Watch TCPView to see if mbam.exe shows up in the list. It will be pretty obvious, because it highlights it in green.

I need to know what "Remote Address" Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is trying to connect to. Once it shows up in the list, you can right-click on the line for mbam.exe, and select 'Copy' in order to paste it into a reply. It will tell me what I need to know. Below is an example of what the line you are looking for will look like inside the following code box:

You can try a manuel update.....

Manual Update of Definition Database

If you cannot update the database to the latest version within the MBAM window, you may follow the instructions below and update it manually:

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

• Windows XP and 2000
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

You can also download a manual update from HERE -

***NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program.

**NOTE: Please note though that this should be a last resort and if at all possible you should attempt to download updates from within the program.

Once the system is clean and stable again you should update again from within the program.

Thanks.

Step 1. I have version 1.46

Step 2. I am not able to get anything from that link. It says Internet Explore cannot display page. Diagnose network prolbem button etc.....

Step 3. No Norton

Step 4. Here is what I got:

Traceroute Malwarebytes CDN version 1.5

Fri 09/24/2010

12:54:37.68

Phase #1

Tracerouting: data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Server: UnKnown

Address: 213.109.65.68

============================================================

Phase #2

Tracerouting: llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Phase #3

Tracerouting: edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Finished at: 12:54:47.20

Step 5. Boy those green lines move fast.... But here is what I am getting:

mbam.exe 3560 TCP owner-fe7a39b48.wp.comcast.net 2603 host-198-7-242-42.oshean.org 3127 SYN_SENT

mbam.exe 3560 TCP owner-fe7a39b48.wp.comcast.net 3209 host-198-7-242-42.oshean.org 3127 SYN_SENT

mbam.exe 3560 TCP owner-fe7a39b48.wp.comcast.net 3375 host-198-7-242-42.oshean.org 3127 SYN_SENT

Thanks again for your help. Very impresed with replies.

I am not sure what kind of equipment you have in that office, but you are having DNS issues, if you use a router, you need to check it.

That traceroute log shows a DNS issue, and it's possible that your DNS settings have been hijacked.

Try this - It is general solution that works most times -

You may want to copy/paste this to notepad as you will disconnect from the internet for a while -

1. Very important: First disconnect your computer from the internet. Just Log Off- while you reset the router -

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your interent connection:

Download this Microsoft Item

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Run or press Windows Logo+R
  • In the command window copy/paste the following:
    ipconfig /flushdns

• Then hit enter and a black box will flash .
  • Exit the command window.

Thank You -

NOTE: If you are using Malwarebytes in a corporate environment, you need to get it licensed as such so you can continue to receive assistance with Malwarebytes then you can contact Corporate support. The free version of malwarebytes is intended for home users.

Please send an email to Corporate Support Team <corporate-support@malwarebytes.org> with your Cleverbridge order reference number and they will assist you.

• 2 weeks later...

Upate problem resolved

I had the update error problem, went thru all the suggestions on repairing the problem to no avail.

Rebooted everything, defaulted the router, flushed the dns.

No luck.

We have Brighthouse, RoadRunner service.

I took my computer to another home ( Comcast) and was able to install and update there.

Called roadrunner support.

They walked me thru a winsock reset.

Fixed the problem

Info;

go to command prompt. (start, run, cmd )

type; netsh winsock reset

did it on each computer, updates work.

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ms Rita -

ERROR_INTERNET_CANNOT_CONNECT 12029 The attempt to connect to the server failed.

Make sure that your internet connection is fully OK first , then read on - Note ;Also post back with your antivirus programs -

Please first un/re install the program with the directions below - Select your Operating system to suit -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Paid version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You -