Error when trying to update

Here are some steps to diagnose update issues:

Step 1

Click on
and let me know what it says. It should be just a 4-digit number in the upper-left corner.

Step 2

Please download and run the traceroute utility at
. It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Note that it may take several minutes to run, and it may look like it is not doing anything for a few minutes. Normally it takes longer when there are errors that it has to log, but it's rare for it to go more than 10 minutes.

Step 3

Please download TCPView from Microsoft at

This utility will monitor everything that is accessing the Internet or your local network. All you have to do is run TCPView, and then run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and start the update. Watch TCPView to see if mbam.exe shows up in the list. It will be pretty obvious, because it highlights it in green.

I need to know what "Remote Address" Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is trying to connect to. Once it shows up in the list, you can right-click on the line for mbam.exe, and select 'Copy' in order to paste it into a reply. It will tell me what I need to know. Below is an example of what the line you are looking for will look like inside the following code box:

mbam.exe:3656 TCP vista-x64:52135 cdn-208-111-168-7.ord.llnw.net:http ESTABLISHED

Step 1: Firefox gave me, Firefox can't find the server at data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Step 2:

Traceroute Malwarebytes CDN version 1.5

Fri 09/24/2010

10:14:56.73

Phase #1

Tracerouting: data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Server: UnKnown

Address: 192.168.0.1

============================================================

Phase #2

Tracerouting: llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Phase #3

Tracerouting: edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Finished at: 10:15:06.20

Step 3: Isn't even showing up on the list.

To both Moses and Larry5555

That traceroute log shows a DNS issue, and it's possible that your DNS settings have been hijacked.

Try this - It is general solution that works most times -

You may want to copy/paste this to notepad as you will disconnect from the internet for a while -

1. Very important: First disconnect your computer from the internet. Just Log Off- while you reset the router -

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your interent connection:

Download this Microsoft Item

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Run or press Windows Logo+R
  • In the command window copy/paste the following:
    ipconfig /flushdns

• Then hit enter and a black box will flash .
  • Exit the command window.

Thank You -

I had a similar problem and wanted to post my solution. My son booted into Sabayon Linux with a live boot DVD. Once in there I tried to go to the manual update site and it failed. So I realized that it was a DNS issue. Plugged in the router address and got to their website where I realized that I was using a static DNS instead of automatically getting the settings from the ISP. I changed it to the "get DNS settings automatically from ISP" setting and I now get the Malwarebytes updates. Don't know if you are having the same issue but booting into a live Linux distro can give you some info.

You were right, it was a dns redirect on my linksys router.

Besides not being able to update mbam, I was getting constant redirects on google searches.

One clue - if you have similar problems - see if it goes away when you turn off javascript in your browser, as this seems to be how the router is hacked.

Once I reset my router, flushed the dns cache, etc mbam updated with no problem.

Just to add to this thread, you should change the default password on your routers to avoid being hacked as well.

Everyone knows what the default password is on most routers, like linksys, netgear, etc. so hackers target those that have not been changed to something else.

By changing your password, it can help prevent these attacks from changing your settings. Also make sure you secure your wireless as well. :)