MSO word shifting to low res

CWB

hello ,

i have been trying to find an answer to this problem for a couple of days ...

a machine running vista(less) will go to the low res mode when i open MSO word 2007 .

when i click on the icon a UAC window pops up ... i allow it to run ... the screen blanks for a second and then word opens up in low res .

when closing the program the reverse happens .

while in the low res mode i can go into the nvidia settings and sure enough , the settings are for low res . i change the settings and back into high res it goes , click apply and all is good until i restart MSO word . the same old story happens .

the above does not happen when opening MS works word processor , excell , one note , works task launcher , etc . all seem to function/look ok .

so , i thought that perhaps the MSO word 2007 was corrupted or something along those lines and not associated with a user profile telling it to go into the low res mode .

as a test i created another (new) full admin account ... lo and behold , MSO word opens without asking for permission and in the high res mode ! the rest of the programs look/act normal as well .

AHA ! (methinks) the problem must be associated with the other account .

i started searching (the net) for a way to tell what was going on with (in my words) the customization of a user account along these lines ... and came up empty handed .

man , i have been all over the MS site and the net ... i even came up with a cookie recipe ! :) :)

i am not all that hip with office and the other associated programs ... never had a big need for them .

does anybody have an idea or link ?

many thanks in advance .

i did not find anything like you mentioned .

i did notice that after opening mso word and minimizing it the desktop icons are in low res . opening IE and FF shows in a low resolution format but the material (say search results pictures) is ok . opening other programs (such as adobe reader) results in a low res picture .

yeah , shuffling the stuff over from the other account would be a way to do it ...

but that seems like end-running a problem ... bandaiding .

i really would like to know what happened ... methinks that someone with fat-fingers got into it . ;)

if push comes to shove , i'll do it .

meanwhile ...

welll ...

it looks like it is sorted out ...

the properties windows that showed on the shortcut in the "programs list" did not have the compatibility view tab .

the picture of the properties windows jogged my memory .

i went to the windows program folder (x86 side) and took a look at the properties there ...

yep ... it was set to run in the W2K mode @ 256 colors with admin privileges !

i have no idea how this happened ...

basically , it was a case of ; "it was working ok and the next thing you know ..." .

and of course nobody knows what happened and did not touch the machine . yeah right , they were in the next county when it happened . ;)

thanks for the help .