Windows Firewall

i2rsantos

Hi,

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit which came with my HP Pavillion. I installed Malware Bytes along with an existing Mcafee install. Mcafee started acting up, so I uninstalled it. So, now I am running strictly Malware Bytes. Since the uninstall, I am getting a Windows Message that I should turn on Windows Firewall. When I try to turn it on, nothing happens. I still get the prompt to turn on Windows Firewall. I ran a full scan (twice, updating the DB each time) with Malware Bytes, no issues found.

I went to Administraitve Tools/Services. It says that Windows Firewall is running along with Mcafee's firewall (?!). Should I be worried?

Hi,

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit which came with my HP Pavillion. I installed Malware Bytes along with an existing Mcafee install. Mcafee started acting up, so I uninstalled it. So, now I am running strictly Malware Bytes. Since the uninstall, I am getting a Windows Message that I should turn on Windows Firewall. When I try to turn it on, nothing happens. I still get the prompt to turn on Windows Firewall. I ran a full scan (twice, updating the DB each time) with Malware Bytes, no issues found.

I went to Administraitve Tools/Services. It says that Windows Firewall is running along with Mcafee's firewall (?!). Should I be worried?

That might be Windows security centre asking you to turn the firewall on.....security center keeps an eye of whether optimal security settings are enabled and enforced....

You can disable security center warnings from its preferences or by just disabling the security center service.....Windows firewall is a ...I'd recommend you get something better like Comodo or ZoneAlarm firewall.

Just to add to this....

You mentioned that you only have Malwarebytes installed cause you took off McAfee.....

Malwarebytes is not an Anti-Virus program, so you need to install an anti-virus program on your computer to be fully protected. Malwarebytes is designed to work hand in hand with your Anti-virus catching what your anti-virus software fails to catch.....

you can find some free ones @ filehippo.com if you like to search...

Hello,

No one has touched on the fact that Windows states that you are still using the McAfee Firewall... You may still have remnants of the program on your computer that were not removed when you uninstalled it. Did you uninstall McAfee via Add/Remove Programs (or "Programs and Features" for Vista) in the Control Panel?

Also, you might want to try these instructions from McAfee that will help get rid of any remnants left on your computer:

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool

Regards,

Keith

Hi,

Get rid of every McAfee software you are using, those are bloated crap.

Instead I suggest ClearCloud DNS and Avast. To make this clear, ClearCloud does not detect viruses, it prevents you from getting them in the first place.

well this happened to me before. I uninstalled kaspersky and in security center it showed that kaspersky was still protecting me although it was uninstalled correctly. :P

when i switched back to BitDefender, it automatically got fixed and security center started to say I was protected by BD.

I guess that some anti-viruses don't un register it self out of security center on uninstall?

anyways, when u install a new anti-virus, security center shouldnt be saying anymore that u are still protected by mcafee.

And does anyone know if the mcafee "apocalypse" will happen or when?

well this happened to me before. I uninstalled kaspersky and in security center it showed that kaspersky was still protecting me although it was uninstalled correctly. :P

when i switched back to BitDefender, it automatically got fixed and security center started to say I was protected by BD.

I guess that some anti-viruses don't un register it self out of security center on uninstall?

anyways, when u install a new anti-virus, security center shouldnt be saying anymore that u are still protected by mcafee.

And does anyone know if the mcafee "apocalypse" will happen or when?

I have done the same thing, it happened to be a leftover file from kaspersky causing this.