Two Blue Screens

Lorek

Hi, So I've had this laptop here for about 6 months now, tonight I went to visit a study group site off of yahoo for school and got a warning from my virus scan saying connection was aborted due to a downloader/trojan. I scanned HD and couldn't find anything about 20 mins later I get a blue screen. Kernel inpage or something like that. I reboot into safemode without networking and there are no problems. I leave it running for 30 minutes nothing happens. I reboot into normal mode It freezes for a long while at the welcome screen, about 5 or 6 minutes later I get another blue screen. Reboot in safe mode with networking, started checking processes, services, etc. Full virus scan, nothing found. Updating malwarebytes, starts acting super sluggish then blue screen again. Reboot, can't enumerate the hard drive. Completely power down and power back up and it enumerates, I boot into safe mode without networking and start running my malwarebytes scan, which is still going at this point. I don't believe this is a hardware issue as I've had ot running for 6 months now without a peep, i could expect it within 3 months but usually 6 months is a safe marker and it was brand new straight from manufacturer when I bought it. So I'll finish up the malware bytes scan and superantispyware scan and post the results, in the meantime what else should I do?

Welcome to Malwarebytes! Well a pc can be new but memory (ram) I have is made in china. I'm doing a memtest on it right now. You may want to take a glance at my post:http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=62455 and see the advice that was offered me! You need to take a picture as I did, or write down the numbers at the bottom. You'll note my top pic shows maybe a memory or video card issue. I have a friend who has a HP notebook who's video card went south after 6 months.

My 2nd pic show a Page Fault in a NONPAGED AREA, so I am going to be checking the hardware... Now In my post they say I may have some Malware also? So if you think you have/had an infection... Let us know? will stear you in a direction where the experts can check that out. post back with any questions, someone will answer.. regards...

BTW: My memtest program just finished and it failed !!! ;) Looks like I'll be buying some ram....

@ Firefox

Thanks! ;) Its maxed out to 1.24GB of ram. 1 stick of ram is bad. I was at 300% with memtest at 3am. ! and still going... You had a good idea ;) If I leave the bad one in I get BSOD's when I touch the pad every time.... I pulled out the right one. The bad one! But its murder running at 256mb :P I'll cya later....regards....

So I completed the extended diagnostic tools, memtest86 and a malwarebytes scan. All passed without incident. I got a STOP BSOD when I tried loading up Hijackthis and GMER and when I loaded the task manager there was an unusual amount of svchost running. I'm used to seeing ~ 15 svchost instances in windows 7, but there was easily double that amount. General bootup was super sluggish taking around 30 minutes to get to a point where I could use any windows utilities. I reset it back to the factory image with dell's utility, that didn't work, but when I pulled out my acronis disk image and set it to overwrite everything that fixed it. Haven't had any problems since then but I'll be doing a couple extra tests just to make sure.

@ Firefox

Thanks! ;) Its maxed out to 1.24GB of ram. 1 stick of ram is bad. I was at 300% with memtest at 3am. ! and still going... You had a good idea ;) If I leave the bad one in I get BSOD's when I touch the pad every time.... I pulled out the right one. The bad one! But its murder running at 256mb :P I'll cya later....regards....

Time to get a new 1GB stick....

Time to get a new 1GB stick....

Well each time I remove it... it works ok! the 1gb stick, I put it back & I get BSOD! I hope thats all there is? Because I have an IR thermonmeter (just point and shoot for 1 sec)

and the readout read 109F ??? not by the fan or battery.... I just hope theres no other issues.... will stop at the pc store tommorow. thx for all the tips links & replies above...