Windows Admin login issue

Mystery

Hi,

A friend of mine had no password set at Windows start (Windows 7), and asked me to help her to set up one.

The issue is that as soon as Windows loads, her default keyboard is a specific European language that is different from the OS language.

When she typed in the admin/user password twice and confirmed, she used 1 special character (in ASCII it's ó) which is a standard character in her native language and can be typed normally on her keyboard settings.

However on Windows start-up, the only keyboard versions available are German and French (I didn't realize this unfortunately, nor that she used special characters), and it's not possible (to my best knowledge) to create that special character with any key combinations on German and French keyboard settings.

Now she's locked out of Windows, and I couldn't find a way to solve this issue.

I need urgent help, does any of you have an idea?

Thank you in advance :)

Thanks for your reply DaChew.

I already tried it, and it didn't work. Even booting in Safe Mode does prompt the password window.

Safe Mode with Command Prompt - This version of Safe Mode also loads a minimum set of processes but will allow immediate access to the Command Prompt. This is a valuable option if more advanced troubleshooting is necessary.

I assume she's locked out of the command prompt option?

Oh I see now what you mean, I haven't tried "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".

I assume that with the enabled admin account, I would be able to change the main/only user password, right?

Thank you, I will try that as soon as I can go to her - probably tomorrow after work, and see if it works this way :D

Thanks for trying to help DaChew, much appreciated.

Fortunately it turned out that it is possible to use the ASCII character at login to type the password. I didn't know that was possible, but I have been able to get hold of a pc expert by phone, and he told me that this was no problem.

I instructed my friend how to type ó instead of the special character within her password, and Windows accepted it! :)

Phew, I'm relieved now :)