Malwarebytes Crashes

I believe I've posed about this before but, since I can't find any sign of that post I've decided to post a new topic. I've prepared the information in a zip file and found the most appropriate place I could to post to. If there is a better way then please let me know (I don't hang around this forum a lot and have rarely had issues with mbam.)

mbam_bug_report_info.zip

Please try the following to see if it helps:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Please try the following to see if it helps:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features

Tried your advice but, still not working right. It still crashed somewhere within Scanning Windows. FYI my Windows installation is completely up to date, I also dual boot with Ubuntu but, I don't believe any data has been put into the Windows Folders by Ubuntu and even it there was Mbam has never had a problem with those files, it would just show a reading error and continue the scan.

Ok lets try this....

Open Malwarebytes

Update it

Now go to the Settings Tab

Click on Scanner Settings

Uncheck Enable advanced heuristics engine

Now click on Scanner Tab

Perform a quick scan

See if that helps....

The problem never occurs in the quick scan (sorry should have mentioned that earlier) but, I am doing a Full Scan now with the Heuristics turned off.

If this is a licensed MBAM, one could refer you to customer support.

Meantime, your Windows o.s. version? what antivirus app is installed ? name/version

Usually I would add that sort of information but, I figured most of it would be in the attached report. For quick reference I am using the Free version of Malwarebyte's (I can't currently afford to go pro), I'm on a Windows 7 Professional =, 32-bit OS, and my only other AntiVirus/Firewall is Comodo Firewall Pro (free version). I made sure to add the entire mbam directory to Comodo's Safe list and I've not seen anything come up saying it was blocked. Windows Firewall is On, Windows Defender is on and presumably in default configuration (I've not personally changed it). Also Malwarebytes is usually updated daily but, I've not seen any differences caused by the updates in this behavior. (I have noticed that no new version of the actualy anti-virus has been released in a while.)

Finally following the advice above I did do a clean uninstall/install of the newest Version of mbam.

@ Gregory Norris

If you have Comodo FW on, then you must insure that the Windows firewall OFF. You must not have more than 1 software firewall active.

Now then, has the re-install of MBAM cleared up your issue?

P.S. See the topic on common issues etc. http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

Do exclusions as noted for your firewall product & antivirus, as appropriate.

If still no joy, also follow Firefox's suggestion to turn off the heuristics in MBAM

Edited by Maurice Naggar

@ Gregory Norris

If you have Comodo FW on, then you must insure that the Windows firewall OFF. You must not have more than 1 software firewall active.

Now then, has the re-install of MBAM cleared up your issue?

P.S. See the topic on common issues etc. http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10138

Do exclusions as noted for your firewall product & antivirus, as appropriate.

If still no joy, also follow Firefox's suggestion to turn off the heuristics in MBAM

I've never had any issues with having both firewalls on and Windows Firewall has a tendency of turning itself on whether I want it to or not (via updates and such). I will try with Windows Firewall Turned off though.

The reinstall did nothing (hence why I'm still posting here).

I know for a fact that Comodo isn't blocking anything (I double checked the logs and set the entire mbam folder as safe).

Hi -

Is there any chance you have an infection on your system -

As it has been 10 days since you started this thread the experts forum may help better -

Please print out, read and follow What do I do now? , skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

The next step is post a New Topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that

you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via This Link

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :)