PC won't start

minnie74

Hi,

I got malware last week. When I restarted my computer after running Malwarebytes, Windows it wouldn't start. I can only boot from disk. I was referred here from the Malware forum. I can't even start my computer in safe mode. I got the message "The system is not fully installed. Please run setup again." I have already tried a system restore from my restore point without formatting my hard drive but this didn't work. I also tried my system restore disks but my computer doesn't recognise them. I have been having trouble with them since i upgrade to service pack 3 in XP. Please help. I don't want to lose everything. Plus even if I wipe my hard drive my system restore may not work.

Thanks

Posted Edited by Firefox....

Sorry I see you were sent here from the HJT section.

A CD that you could use to boot up the computer so you can backup your data would be Hirens Boot Cd. I use that at times and boot the WinXP bootable CD so that I can backup the data to an external drive, once you have your data backed up, we can provide help with re-installing windows.

@minnie74

I note your topic in Malware- Removal http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=62115

and that you were reffered here.

You only have System Restore CD, which is not useable for purposes needed now in this situation.

It is very extremely hard to diagnose your system without Windows running.

Did you make a mirror-image system backup to CD/DVD/ or offline external USB drive?

Any sort of backup of this system from before?

See about making a boot CD such as Ultimate Boot CD http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

It takes some moderate to Advanced knowledge to make it and then to use it.

Posted Edited by Firefox....

Sorry I see you were sent here from the HJT section.

A CD that you could use to boot up the computer so you can backup your data would be Hirens Boot Cd. I use that at times and boot the WinXP bootable CD so that I can backup the data to an external drive, once you have your data backed up, we can provide help with re-installing windows.

Hi,

What sort of external drive would you recommend? I have a usb hard disk. Also which program would you use from Hirens Boot CD? Would it let me make a back up to the USB hard disk?

Thanks

PS Sorry I don't have any back-ups

With the Hirens CD, it gives you a choice to boot to Mini Windows.

It would be like running windows xp but with very basic tools. When you boot to it, have the external hard drive already plugged in that way the Windows will see it.

Then its just a matter of coping your data from one drive to another. Your existing external USB hard drive should work. I use external USB Western Digital drives, but any USB hard disk should work.

With the Hirens CD, it gives you a choice to boot to Mini Windows.

It would be like running windows xp but with very basic tools. When you boot to it, have the external hard drive already plugged in that way the Windows will see it.

Then its just a matter of coping your data from one drive to another. Your existing external USB hard drive should work. I use external USB Western Digital drives, but any USB hard disk should work.

Just wanted to say thanks so much for your help. The advice you provided was awesome! So much better than losing everything. You guys rock!! :)