vbalsgrid6.ocx

Hello, I'm a registed user of Malwarebytes and I use the program since about a month on a new Vaio pc under Vista. Up till today it worked fine. Today I got an update that came in very very slow. At that moment problems started. I got a message that component vbalsgrid6.ocx was missing. After I closed and started the program I got the same message again. I shut down, started again, without result. I uninstalled everything and downloaded the newest version from this site. I tried to install, but the message came that the DLL/OCX couldn't be registered. I read several other messages on this site about this problem en tried about everything that was suggested without any result. I uninstalled again and installed in safe mode. Didn't help. I've run Hijack this and had it screened but it is clean. I found several entries in de register after uninstalling Malwarebytes and deleted everything but that didn't change anything. I don't know what to do next. It seems I miss this visual basic thing and don't know how to fix it. It's not in the registy, that's for sure. I installed spysweeper again, cause I had terrible problems a few months ago because of spyware. And I'm running Kaspersky Internet Security. I'm a bit tired after working many hours without any result. :unsure: What should I do?

Hello, I'm a registed user of Malwarebytes and I use the program since about a month on a new Vaio pc under Vista. Up till today it worked fine. Today I got an update that came in very very slow. At that moment problems started. I got a message that component vbalsgrid6.ocx was missing. After I closed and started the program I got the same message again. I shut down, started again, without result. I uninstalled everything and downloaded the newest version from this site. I tried to install, but the message came that the DLL/OCX couldn't be registered. I read several other messages on this site about this problem en tried about everything that was suggested without any result. I uninstalled again and installed in safe mode. Didn't help. I've run Hijack this and had it screened but it is clean. I found several entries in de register after uninstalling Malwarebytes and deleted everything but that didn't change anything. I don't know what to do next. It seems I miss this visual basic thing and don't know how to fix it. It's not in the registy, that's for sure. I installed spysweeper again, cause I had terrible problems a few months ago because of spyware. And I'm running Kaspersky Internet Security. I'm a bit tired after working many hours without any result. :unsure: What should I do?

Hi Masha,

I will look into this for you and see what I can find about it. It's actually an issue with the installer program itself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

No guarantee that this will fix it but they could try installing the VB6 runtime files and then attempt to go to the Windows update site and scan for updates.

If Windows update does not work then there is some other issues going on and I can provide a batch file that typically for me has always fixed Windows update issues.

Brief Description

Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0 provides the latest updates to Visual Basic 6.0.

Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0

No guarantee that this will fix it but they could try installing the VB6 runtime files and then attempt to go to the Windows update site and scan for updates.

If Windows update does not work then there is some other issues going on and I can provide a batch file that typically for me has always fixed Windows update issues.

Brief Description

Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0 provides the latest updates to Visual Basic 6.0.

Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0

I'm afraid there's no solution for this problem. When you google around as you did, you find many more people who have the same problem with Malwarebytes. I worked weeks to find a solution and tried everything. It has nothing to do with the visual basic runtime. The problem is the accelerator that is used in the program. I've recently send an extensive mail to Marcin about this.

• Root Admin

Well I agree that it is a frustrating issue, but I don't agree with "I'm afraid there's no solution for this problem."

It would be nice to have this happen on a VM image that could be duplicated to help track it down.

I've had systems it would not install on but not this exact error but a little manual cleaning and it installed just fine.

Not sure what you sent Marcin but hopefully it is helpful to get this resolved.

Thanks.

I'm afraid there's no solution for this problem. When you google around as you did, you find many more people who have the same problem with Malwarebytes. I worked weeks to find a solution and tried everything. It has nothing to do with the visual basic runtime. The problem is the accelerator that is used in the program. I've recently send an extensive mail to Marcin about this.

Actually, it is an issue with the visual basic runtimes. usually reinstalling those does remove that vbagrid issue.

It would be nice to have this happen on a VM image that could be duplicated to help track it down.

I've had systems it would not install on but not this exact error but a little manual cleaning and it installed just fine.

Well I certainly would have liked somebody here in Amsterdam to track this problem down. Whenever you're in the neighbourhood... be my guest! :) In the meantime I use another program and keep hoping the problem will be solved some day. Malwarebytes was really helpful in August this year on my old pc when I got infected with malware and that's why I know it does a good job and I want to keep it.

Dachu and Tarun I did all these things repeatedly. And:

1. Installed in safe mode;

2. Installed without any security on (you never know and, of course, UAC off);

3. I tried to register vbalsgrid6.ocx and ssubtmr6.dll by hand I then got the message "the DLL was loaded but the call to DllregisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005;.

4. I downloaded procmon to see whether there were any "access denied" rules. There were none.

5. I searched for broken names (I read somewhere that sometimes names are changed f.i. in VBALSG~1.OCX), but that didn't happen on my pc.

6. I cleaned the registry carefully with a registry cleaner. No result.

7. I of course searched for Spyware and virusses, but there are none.

After all this, who does have a good idea left :) ?

If repairs don't work and there's no malware I just throw in the towel and do a clean install

I installed this pc August 28. The first thing I did after the installation of Windows, was installing Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. Both worked fine till September 8, when I received the update. On September 2, I made a complete back up of my machine. Last week - after trying everything I could to let Malwarebytes work - I returned to that installation. The moment everything was installed again as on September 2, Malwarebytes worked. The first thing I did following this, was uninstalling Malwarebytes (it went wrong the first time after an update over an old version, so this was the way to be sure that couldn't be te reason for a new problem), I restarted my pc and installed the last version of Malwarebytes. At that moment I got the same messages (can't register ssubtmr6dll and vbalsgrid6.ocx), with one difference: in the earlier situation the program didn't work when I clicked "ignore". I then got a runtime error 339: "component vbalsgrid 6.ocx or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". After the installation of September 2, I clicked "ignore" without any expectations. To my surprise the program itself worked BUT very slow.

I'm sure it's a problem of the accelarator. I tried to find the developer of the accelarator, but his site hasn't been updated since 2004. I found a forum on which people wondered where he is, but the conclusion was that he just dissappeared.

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

I'm reasonably certain I've found the solution to fixing this. Not certain what causes the issue though in the first place.

It's very late here right now and I still need to write up some documentation and do a little more testing but will try to post the fix some time this weekend.

I'm reasonably certain I've found the solution to fixing this. Not certain what causes the issue though in the first place.

It's very late here right now and I still need to write up some documentation and do a little more testing but will try to post the fix some time this weekend.

That would be really great. And not just for me. I've subscribed to "google alerts" for "vbalsgrid6.ocx" and I get about every other day a mail somebody somewhere has the same problem with malwarebytes. So it would be a good thing when it is solved. I'm curious to see what you found.

• 1 month later...

I just ran into this same issue with a laptop today. It showed signs of being infected and would not let me run Malwarebytes - instead giving me the repeated runtime errors that vbalsgrid.ocx was missing. I searched all over for solutions and ended up coming across an alternative product to try first - DrWeb-CureIt. I ran the basic scan and still had problems. A full system scan found the root cause of the problem and cleaned up the system allowing me to run Malwarebytes next and do further cleaning. Be warned that the DrWeb-CureIt scan takes a long time depending on the number of files you have. But it is worth a look if you run into this issue.

On a quick separate note - I also ran into a machine that would not let me install Malwarebytes until I renamed the installer file. Unfortunately the bad guys are getting better at blocking or disrupting Malwarebytes.

• 5 months later...