Error Updating Malwarebytes' MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING(12002, 0, WinHttpReceiveResponse)

I just installed the latest version of MBAM, and tried both a manual and auto update, but got the same error code. I am pretty sure its not a problem with my firewall or antivirus. My Specs are

WinXp SP2, 512 mb Ram, 80 GB, with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010.

I have the free version of MBAM, and am using this on a single computer. If any further info is required i will post it asap.

Welcome to Malwarebytes! Give this a try & please let us know how things work out? regards

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Welcome to Malwarebytes! Give this a try & please let us know how things work out? regards

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders

Thanks for the suggestion, however it didn't work, and i'm continuing to receive the same error response. Tried renaming the definition file, and then updating, but it had no effect. All my other apps are able to access the internet perfectly well though.

Regards

and tried both a manual and auto update,

I have the free version of MBAM, and am using this on a single computer. If any further info is required i will post it asap

Hi -

I am not sure you know that the free version is designed for manual updates only -

Please exclude the following files from your Kaspersky antivirus and read Issue #3 in the FAQ section -

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Thank You -

EDIT - Please use the ADD REPLY Tab when responding -

Thanks, i had no idea about that. So the two issues you identified were first, my antivirus blocking the app, and second, my web filter blocking the update site.

The first issue is resolved straightaway since MBAM is grouped by Kaspersky in the "Trusted" applications - which means unrestricted access to files, the web, and the like. Thus no problem with the firewall blocking any communications.

Second, the Web Filter also relies on the 'status' of the application (Trusted, Restricted, the like) to block it, so i think nothing crops up there as well. Could this be a probable bug?

Regards

Hi -

First I think you need to upgrade to XP SP3 - (Live link in my signature below) - Listed as "XP SP3 Home" -

XP SP 2 support went out in July and it will be futile until SP3 and all the latest Critical Updates are installed -

With SP2 installed you miss all the M/soft updates required to keep you running smoothly while on line -

If you would like this looked at by the experts please read these directions -

Please print out, read and follow the directions Here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via Here

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :blink:

Not sure if it's related, but I'm having almost the same error message. I'm running the free version on Vista.

It didn't show up until I tried updating. (not the first time I've updated... I've been able to do it without issue in the past.)

But right after attempting update today, I got a popup with the following error message:

"An error has occured. Please report this error code to our support team.

MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE (0, 5) "

After I received this error, the program shutdown. I was unable to re-open the program... I only received this same popup.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the program, but immediately upon trying to start the program, nothing appeared but the error message.

Hope this helps!

Please follow the directions above by yardbird in Post #2 for a (0,5) error -

Ignore the XP version and just use the Vista/Win7 version -

NOTE : Keep the program updated every few days , as there are usually from 3 to 5 updates per day -

Thank You -

Following the instructions in this thread here did the trick for me:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=62071

Thanks!