How you research malware?

Hi, I am new at this forum, but I'm using MBAM for a long time...I must say it is fantastic software, against all kinds of malware, adware, spyware, trojans...

Thanks to MBAM team for everyday updates.

But i have one question...

How someone (antimalware team, antivirus team...etc) can research malware, how it works? I am AV reviewer, but i never know how can someone research malware or viruses? Im very interested in that. You research it viewing a wrong code or what? I really wanna know that because im interested in defense against cybercrime and viruses (i have MSCA)

Thanks a lot! :blink:

I am AV reviewer, but i never know how can someone research malware or viruses? Im very interested in that. You research it viewing a wrong code or what? I really wanna know that because im interested in defense against cybercrime and viruses (i have MSCA)

I find it hard to think of you as a reviewer when you do not know of any processes used in the industry for malware research ??

This is like a food reviewer not knowing of any cooking methods , or how to use spices in dishes -

Do you know about Bill Gates and Microsoft , or have you not got to that stage in any of your research yet ??

Sorry , you lost me -

You don't understand me. I am not a professional AV reviewer, im reviewing AV software (testing on own machine includes all AV parameters such detection, system resourses etc.). If i know something i dont post question here - logic.

If you be patient to answer me on my question, it will be good. If not, im waiting for someone other to response on my question.

Thanks.

Guest remixed

Hello DestroyMalware and welcome to Malwarebytes. Personally i'm not in favour of questioning new members credentials. I'm sure that a member with experience of building the expertise you seek will respond more positively :blink:

MSCA stands for Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator.(Unless you have some other degree?)

I am sorry if I was a bit ........... last time , but I thought you would have had some instruction in regards to your question -

There is usually a section of your training that shows you how A/V and A/Malware programs work -

We have collected a database of known (and personally found) infections and apply our software to recognise these items -

The actual methods used in the program are not disclosed , but once an item is found it is basically removed from the memory of the computer -

The same basic methods apply to all A/V and A/M programs - It is only in the recognising of True infections that programs vary -

That is why some produce more F/P (False Positive) readings than others and some are more accurate than others -

Thank you for asking -

Hi DestroyMalware and welcome to malwarebytes.:)

Malware is a bit dangerous to research so I would recommend tools like Comodo Time Machine/Back up, Returnil Home Edition and Sandboxie to secure your system. Now for malware I would use Froistwire/Limewire for collection(I use Froistwire) and sites like malwaredomainlist.com hosts-file.net . Virtualbox also works as a virtual machine to run another copy of windows to infect without you getting infected.:blink:

Hi again -

We do not release any infections/Malware to people in general -This is for our programmers only -

There is already enough malware out there for us to fight without releasing samples to unknown new members at this time -

Our researchers have enough problems getting the samples in the wild without passing them out -

You are about 2 years away from doing basic research into this subject yet -

The list at the bottom of This Page contains schools that you can contact for further training -

Thank You for your enquiries -