Add/Remove a Dead Program?

yardbird

Anyone know how to remove a old "Word Perfect" program out of the CP - Add/Remove section at the bottom of the list?

Used Remove in the Add/Remove Program, Most of the program is gone except for a ghost!

Also used HiJackThis and removed some more. Did a "search" removed a few files.

Went into regedit - did a find for Word Perfect and took it out of several places there.

Are you primarily just trying to remove the Add/Remove Programs entry for the program? If so, CCleaner can do that, just open CCleaner and click on the Tools button on the left and use the first section called Uninstall and select Delete Entry on the right. That will remove the entry, do keep in mind that that's all it removes though, it won't get rid of any files or folders that may still be left behind. If you want to do that, you can reinstall the program, then uninstall it again, I'm guessing something went wrong when it tried to uninstall the first time due to a missing file or reg entry it needed.

Really? It won't let you just delete it? Bummer. If the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility were still available it would certainly do the trick, unfortunately Microsoft discontinued its availability and replaced it with Fix-it tools that will only remove MS Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 products, meaning any other Windows Installer apps that have trouble and need to be removed in this way will simply be unremoveable :blink:.

No problem. It can still be removed, but it would likely be more trouble than it's worth. You'd basically have to try to find out the CLSID for the program and find it in the registry and remove all instances of it along with any other related keys, something that is not an easy task and would likely take quite a while to do.

I might actually still have the Windows Installer Clean Up utility on my machine as I used it a year and a half ago after my registry cleaning mishap... but I don't know if I can transfer it at all since it's an executable.

Great, I'm glad that you found a solution. I wonder why Softpedia still has it up for download though, because Microsoft took it down due to potential issues of permanent damage from what I understand...

Yeah I wasn't necessarily asking you personally why it was still available for download. I just think (personally) that it is kind of irresponsible for them to be hosting the download when Microsoft has chosen to take it down for what I feel to be very legitimate reasons.

No problem :)

FYI to anyone else reading this... I am not trying to start a debate or be rude or anything... I'm just saying that if someplace is still hosting this program I find it irresponsible for reasons mentioned in my post just before this one.

Softpedia and Major Geeks only need to pull the download if MS instructs them to. By the way, while I can see the possibility of problems arising from using it, I have never seen any problems occur and I've been using that tool for years. I can understand MS not wanting to risk it though, as it's their customers and they're just trying to look out for them and avoid any issues at all, even ones that may be rare.

Exile,

I do think that it is good that they are hosting them. I just thought that they perhaps might pull it down since Microsoft themselves have pulled it down.

I know I would have been lost without it last year with my registry mishap occurred. I am definitely going to save the copy that I already have in a backup location in case I ever need it in the future.