Can't update Malwarebytes

i cannot update malwarebytes. when i run the update i get an error that says:

An error has occured. Please report this error code to our support team.

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (122, 0, MultiByteToWideChar)

the data area passed to a system call is too small.

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling, uninstalling and reinstalling from safe mode, no matter what i do i can not get it to update the program. Please help I am not sure what else to try.

thanks

Please try the following to see if it helps: (this is the correct way to do a clean re-install)

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Hi -

This is the only information I have on CA Surity Suite at this time -

CA 2010

Open 'My Internet' section.

If so open that up and click 'View Settings'.

Look for 'Identity Protection'

Scroll down to 'Trusted and Untrusted Sites'

Paste in the following:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Tick 'Trusted Site-always allow'

Click 'Add'

Click 'Apply' and reboot

See if that helps

-------------------

In CA ISS 2007 and 2008:

Open the CA Personal Firewall GUI;

Click the 'Privacy' icon;

On the tab: "Internet Browser Protection", click the "Manage Sites" button;

In the 'manage sites' dialog box, click "Add";

In the 'URL' field, paste this URL:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

In each tab of that dialog box, make sure that no boxes are checked;

Click OK;

On the 'manage sites' dialog box, click 'Close";

Close CA Personal Firewall GUI.

2007 Identity Protection:

Open GUI

Click 'Privacy' button

On the left side, click 'Manage Sites' button

At the top right side, add the following url:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Click 'Ok' close software

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Please pardon the intrusion; but I had the same problem, with the same error message. (That's how I found this thread with the forum's search engine.)

I am setting up an off-lease HP business desktop pc (XP Pro OS) that I just purchased as a replacement for the grandkids machine. I had installed the "Avast!" free antivirus program and had set mbam.exe as an exemption to try to fix the problem. The update still didn't work. (I received similar results with updating the "SuperAntiSpyware" program that I also installed to see if it would update.)

I had incorrectly assumed that, since I didn't activate the CA Internet Security (that was pre-installed), it was not working. I was wrong.

I just now uninstalled it (through Control Panel), and after rebooting the computer both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware updated just fine, with no error messages.

As a bonus, the computer is working 100 times faster than it was with the CA anti-virus software installed.

Thanks Malwarebytes forum for the ideas!

Good Computing to You All!

Wuds

Hi Wuds -

Just an extra to your addition - Please contact us if you have any problems with Avast + Malwarebytes -

The 2 usually exist well together with the new update 5 of Avast -

The full list of exemptions if required -

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Thank you -

I'm having the same problem, and getting the same error code. I tried the suggestions in this thread (uninstalling and reinstalling the Malwarebytes software and adding the site noted in one of the responses to CA's trusted sites) and I'm still not having any luck updating Malwarebytes. Still getting the same error message. I'm running Windows XP SP3 with CA Internet Security Suite 2010. By the way, this is a fairly recent problem as I've been able to update in the past. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm having the same problem, and getting the same error code. I tried the suggestions in this thread (uninstalling and reinstalling the Malwarebytes software and adding the site noted in one of the responses to CA's trusted sites) and I'm still not having any luck updating Malwarebytes. Still getting the same error message. I'm running Windows XP SP3 with CA Internet Security Suite 2010. By the way, this is a fairly recent problem as I've been able to update in the past. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

UPDATE: The post previous to mine mentioned adding files to the A/V and firewall exclusions list for another security software program, so initially, it was the one thing I didn't do that was suggested in this thread since I didn't think it applied to CA 2010. But then I found a similar post that advised performing the same process in CA 2010. Once I added those noted exclusions to my CA A/V (under My Computer/Threat Settings) and firewall (under My Computer/Program Access (adds only the EXE files)), it still didn't work until I took it one step further. To get to advanced program permissions, I had to hit the Edit button on the MBAM.EXE and MBAMGUI.EXE files under My Computer/Program Access. I then checked off the first four items and hit Apply. Not sure if I needed to check off all four of those items, but I wanted those settings in any case--you may want to test each one individually to see what works and what doesn't. It appears these advanced permissions are the crux of the matter--at least there were in my case. Also, I don't know why I had 4-5 instances of each EXE file in the list under Program Access, but I didn't remove them and performed the Edit on each instance. No reboot was required after performing these operations. Once completed, Malwarebytes updated successfully. After spending most of the evening trying to figure this out, I hope this helps someone else before they spend too many hours on this issue.

Hi to all CA sufferers -

I have downloaded CA Security Suite on my Win 7 laptop - Worst mistake I think I ever made -

First it insisted I uninstall MBAM just so it would install - OK , I have a spare copy in My Documents so I uninstall the one they want me to -

Actually I did not uninstall it , CA uninstalled it as part of the process just to install their product -

By now you may think I wasted $100 or so - Wrong , this was only a Trial Version to assist members here -

Then I visited their forums to get a feel of what their own users thought - The first item was This One where several of their site Moderators just quit the job due to lack of support - Most of the forum was similar with no responses to many basic questions - At least here we attempt to give some useful answers - I also agree with the poster who said the computer slows to a crawl - It does - This item may get removed (as per forum guidelines) but now I sympathise with all the CA users trying to use other products -

Now I just need to Fully uninstall it - I hope that is easier than installing -

Thank You -

@ bluefeenix444 -

Your problem is just an outdated version of the program - Please follow the directions below -

Current version is V 1.46 - Update is 4690 at this time -

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Paid version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :)