MBAM Pro and MSE

I think I'm gonna change my own tag line to "mostly not nice" - you've inspired me!

Hmmmm apparently I am unable to find where to put "mostly not nice" so it shows up in the same location - whatever it's called - as "mostly cantankerous"

Shall I keep digging or is it not possible? Is it part of the avatar?

tia

Hmmmm apparently I am unable to find where to put "mostly not nice" so it shows up in the same location - whatever it's called - as "mostly cantankerous"

I found it in the "Edit Profile Information" section of "My Controls" listed as "Custom member title".

I have MSE & MBAM (real-time) running on a notebook with XP Pro, sys with 384 MB RAM.

Buy more RAM from Crucial or 4Allmemory

Buy 2GB!

Purchasing more RAM is always the best and most cost effective way to allow both the user and their software to be more productive. And, *shocking I know* to actually have fun with your PC!

Unless of course you use IE set to keep 856GB of temp files! In that case "Programs" "Accessories" "Disk Clean" - if you never did it - preceded by IE "Tools" "Internet Options" "Settings" and crank down the temp files to somewhere 'twixt 50 and 100.

by the way, how's that "I got a great deal on a computer" working for you?

<----- I dislike my 2x4 cynicism

@mountaintree

You said earlier

Please privde more detail if possible.

I have MSE & MBAM (real-time) running on a notebook with XP Pro, sys with 384 MB RAM.

I "had" until just recently experienced a whole lot of sluggishness and very slow repsonse during latter part of August.

But those I believe were due to having opted into Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update.

Once I reverted back to Windows Update the issues went away.

It did not have to do with running MSE & MBAM together.

There are a raft of posts on MS social forums about sluggish systems and the current opinion is that it affects (mainly but not always) systems with low physical RAM (say 512 MB or less) and seemingly XP systems.

Mind you I read a post that reported the sluggishness on a Vista system.

Just curious to find out the particular parameters you notice.

She's referring to this.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...mp;#entry181018

There are known conflicts on xp systems with mse and mbam. Mostly just freezing issues.:)

To Buttons, mountaintree, Arthur:

No sweat on my count. MSE is set to exclude for MBAM components.

I had probed for details only to get some parameters of others' experiences.

Mine have to do with a limited but seemingly extra-special coincidences.

That is, relating to extremely slow response by system overall when

a) system is set for Microsoft Update (not Windows Update)

B: seeing multiple occurrences running of Windows update client

and c) mainly, though not always, XP systems with RAM at 512 MB or less

{ without necessarily having MBAM or MSE )

Hi Maurice:

As mentioned to mountaintree16 (Post #17), I'll eleminate following from your list:

1. system is set for Microsoft Update (not Windows Update). Mine is set for Microsoft Updates
  2. seeing multiple occurrences running of Windows update client. I couldn't get this, could you please explain further
  3. mainly, though not always, XP systems with RAM at 512 MB or less { without necessarily having MBAM or MSE ). I've 3 GB

This makes me think

I just found this

Rogue:MSIL/Zeven wants a piece of the Microsoft Security Essentials pie

mmpc 1 Sep 2010 2:00 PM

A new rogue has started making its appearance from compromised websites: Rogue:MSIL/Zeven. We received a sample (70be8ca73142922fd78acf2aafa9f141a977f15a) and a URL and began our investigation.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2010/09/01/rogue-msil-zeven-wants-a-piece-of-the-microsoft-security-essentials-pie.aspx

Key comment

It seems that these guys want to profit on the good reputation and success of Microsoft Security Essentials in order to make money - but we remind our customers that Microsoft Security Essentials can be downloaded at no cost. And it really does protect your computer from malware!

Hello Haider,

Preface: The conversation has drifted off the very original issue of this topic. My inquiries were only to get some detail.

You can see many reported issues of microsoft updates & "pc" slowdowns at Microsoft forums:

wuaudt.exe is really bogging down my computer

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...05-33dcf9a9a03b

Updates are taking up a high percentage of the CPU and bogging the computer down

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...ired&ppud=4

MBAM is not necessarily involved in the mix.

MSE is not necessarily always involved.

Systems set with Windows Update as the update source are not involved. (apparently).

To your #2: You'd have to use something like Sysinternals (Microsoft) Process Explorer to monitor.

To your #3: Issues are very unlikely to be reported or see on systems with large physical RAM. especially at 3 GB <w>

Note that one individual reported problem on a Vista system with 1 GB RAM.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Maurice,

My apologies for missing your inquiry to me earlier. Buttons is correct, the exclusions page from the Common Issues, Questions, and Solutions is where I got my information from.

I also need to re-read this thread over some more, very informative :)