Help please, unable to run Malwarebytes

Snowleopard

Hello all :) , new here, firstly, sorry if this is posted incorrectly :) I bought a secondhand laptop today, ran fine untill I left it plugged infor a few minutes. I came back to find a screen full of "several fake or false antivirus reports" I have installed Malwarebytes, but am 1) unable to access the net with the machine 2) run Malwarebytes to remove the nasty things that are on the laptop.

Help please, im into territory I dont know how to fix :)

Hi and Welcome -

If you cannot directly access the area of the forums to post a New Topic to please try in safe mode , or at least post a topic and explain to the experts what your problems are so that they may be able to give advice , just please follow these directions -

Please print out, read and follow What do I do now? , skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

The next step is post a New Topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that

you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via This Link

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :)

Hello Snowleopard, :)

You may first read this post to see if you can run MBAM on the infected computer.

If you cannot update the database, you may follow the instructions below to grab a (near) current database -

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

SOLUTION: NOTE: Please note though that this should be a last resort and if at all possible you should attempt to download updates from within the program.

You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. Our database file is stored in the following locations.

• Windows XP and 2000
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

You can also download a manual update from here - NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program

If, unfortunately, MBAM and your antivirus cannot clean the nasty stuff, please read the following instructions noknojon given above (you may need to get the tools download from another computer, and transfer to the infected one).

Please post back if you have further questions.

Thank You :)

PS For other members who have similar issue and need someone to assist you, please click the button t_new.gif below and post your problem as a new topic. Thanks :)

Edit - delete duplicate instructions.

Hi and thankyou for both replies, Im actually using my big PC to use the forum as the laptop is unable to access the net at all..safe or otherwise due to the malware on it. I have installed Malwarebytes but im unable to run it as the malware throws a fit and denies me to run any program it deems as "A virus or a threat" Ironic huh?...Anyway, will hit up the experts and see if they can help.

Thanks again,

SL