Help Needed - Code 12 USB problem

ono

Hi, someone on another forum recommended this site for any computer problems, and today i have a fairly big one and i'm at my wits end. I've recently installed a new motherboard on my pc. Everything seemed fine until i tried to connect my Xbox 360 controller to any of my USB sockets. The USB sockets aren't recognising anything whatsoever. I'm even having to use a PS2 Mice and keyboard.

So i looked on Device Manager and several errors are showing up under USB controllers tab. When i click on the errors, i get the following message...

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

You need to restart your computer before the changes you made to this device will take effect.

That's about as far as i can get, and it's very frustrating. I can't find a solution through goggle either which is worrying. I can find plenty of other people with similar problems, but no solution.

My OS is Vista, and my new motherboard is a Biostar GF8200C M2+

There's a NVidia logo on the Motherboard box. I'm mentioning that because through googling it seems the problem is related to something to do with Nvidia (no idea why).

My CPU is Amd Phenon 9555, and my GPU is an ATI AFX HD 4890 - if this info matters.

Anyways, i'm really hoping somebody can help me out. I was excited that i managed to build my own PC despite being a complete novice. This problem is taking the shine off, and it's stopping me from being able to use my USB ports. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Kind regards, ono.

Hello ono and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

you have a Nvidia intergratred/onboard video card on the MB, check out your MB manual to disable the Nvidia onboard via the BIOS, the conflict could be between the Nvidia onboard and ATI AFX HD 4890

This your MB home page specs and the goodies that go with it.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=420

Your ATI AFX HD 4890 specs

http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/products/graphic...ies/4890.aspx#2

How much memory do you have installed?

Hello ono and Welcome to Malwarebytes.org

you have a Nvidia intergratred/onboard video card on the MB, check out your MB manual to disable the Nvidia onboard via the BIOS, the conflict could be between the Nvidia onboard and ATI AFX HD 4890

This your MB home page specs and the goodies that go with it.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=420

Your ATI AFX HD 4890 specs

http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/products/graphic...ies/4890.aspx#2

How much memory do you have installed?

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. I have 4gb ram.

I'll try and disable the onboard graphics and see if that helps. I'll get back to you as soon as i can.

Out of interest, if i cannot find a fix for this problem, would uninstalling Vista and installing Windows 7 fix it, as my brother has offered to put Windows 7 on for me?

Just to let you know, my onboard graphics are turned off according to my device manager. I couldn't find an option to disable them in Bios, so i checked 'Display Adapters' in Device Manager, and the only driver listed is the ATI radeon HD 4800 series driver.

Just to jump in and answer your question about windows 7.....

More than likely installing a fresh copy of windows would fix the problem. If you do install windows 7 I recommend you backup your data, then do a fresh install, (format the hard drive) as apposed to an upgrade install. If you do an upgrade install, it may bring the problem over to windows 7 as well, so a clean install would be best.

Hi mate, thanks for the reply. I have 4gb ram.

I'll try and disable the onboard graphics and see if that helps. I'll get back to you as soon as i can.

Out of interest, if i cannot find a fix for this problem, would uninstalling Vista and installing Windows 7 fix it, as my brother has offered to put Windows 7 on for me?

I hope you have your own licence for Windows 7?

I would recommend Windows 7 64bit as it can use the full 4GB of RAM unlike 32bit that uses a bit less.

I hope you have your own licence for Windows 7?

I would recommend Windows 7 64bit as it can use the full 4GB of RAM unlike 32bit that uses a bit less.

It'll be my own copy. I just don't want to buy it, unless i really have to. If i can find a fix for this problem, i will stick with Vista. Vista isn't great, but i can cope with it. Cheers for the advice.

Just to jump in and answer your question about windows 7.....

More than likely installing a fresh copy of windows would fix the problem. If you do install windows 7 I recommend you backup your data, then do a fresh install, (format the hard drive) as apposed to an upgrade install. If you do an upgrade install, it may bring the problem over to windows 7 as well, so a clean install would be best.

Ok cheers, if i have to go down that route i will format my HDD.

• 2 weeks later...

*******************FIXED***************************

The ATI PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver was apparently causing the issues.

Once uninstalled and the system restarted this then sent the system into a driver installation fit..upon completion this then made all the devices work as expected.

Thank you for you help

ONO