Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Updates

Guest claudiubotezatu

Guest claudiubotezatu

Hi,

I have noticed that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware update is an average of 2Mb or more per day. My internet security KIS (kaspersky) has an update like 200K per day

My question: does Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware really have 2000k signatures updates per day?

Hard to believe....

Claudiu

Toronto,Canada

• Root Admin

Yes incremental or delta updates are quite common now days but are still often fraught with issues. Just ask Symantec and McAfee here in the US how many times their AV software is broken or disabled by incremental updates. By using the Live Update manually from Symantec they can now detect that the database is corrupt and will download a NEW FULL database at probably about 17MB compressed and about 56MB uncompressed (just an guesstimate)

So currently doing a full database update is not too cumbersome, but I'm sure that soon MB may have to start looking into updating the tool to support delta updates.

Hi,

I have noticed that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware update is an average of 2Mb or more per day. My internet security KIS (kaspersky) has an update like 200K per day

My question: does Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware really have 2000k signatures updates per day?

Hard to believe....

Claudiu

Toronto,Canada

No. It checks the file on the server, if it's newer than the one presently stored, it'll download it. The signature updates is the difference in fingerprints before and after the update.

Currently, MBAM doesn't download in segments. It will redownload the entire definitions database.

Guest claudiubotezatu

Yes incremental or delta updates are quite common now days but are still often fraught with issues. Just ask Symantec and McAfee here in the US how many times their AV software is broken or disabled by incremental updates. By using the Live Update manually from Symantec they can now detect that the database is corrupt and will download a NEW FULL database at probably about 17MB compressed and about 56MB uncompressed (just an guesstimate)

So currently doing a full database update is not too cumbersome, but I'm sure that soon MB may have to start looking into updating the tool to support delta updates.

Hi,

Thank you for your answer!

But... how come some databases are smaller in size than the previous ones???

Let's say , at 9AM a data base of 1000K was downloaded; at 7 PM another one of 975K is downloaded.

Shouldn't they be larger and larger???

Thanks,

Claudiu

Toronto,Canada