flash drive

mc42

If you take your flash drive to a "photo center" like at Save On,or Rite Aid, to print out photos you have on the flash drive, is there any way you might get a virus?

Change the properties of the "drive" to READ ONLY after you have it loaded with the pix you want to print. (May require ADMIN privileges depending...) That way the photo apparatus can READ the image info to make prints but it can't WRITE back to the flash drive. An alternative is to make a CD of the photos and "close out" the CD; then NOTHING can write to the CD. (And they're cheap at that. :P Make out like a :P )

~Shy

I was actually wondering the same thing. I think that most likely it would be fine. However, if you have a locking flash drive, that would be ideal. (I have two of them, they are at least 5 years old now, unfortunately they seem to be a rarity to find these days).

Even better, if you have the option, burn the picture files onto a CD and get them printed that way. I think that that is what I am going to do.

If you take your flash drive to a "photo center" like at Save On,or Rite Aid, to print out photos you have on the flash drive, is there any way you might get a virus?

Yes, that's always possible. Best practice would be to disable Autorun from both your flash drive as well as your computer.

You can do this with, for example, Panda USB Vaccine: http://research.pandasecurity.com/panda-us...utorun-vaccine/

(be sure to uncheck 'NTFS support' and 'automatically vaccine new USB devices' (I just like to do this myself) upon installing.)

Also keep your Windows up-to-date and install Antivirus software. You can even scan the flash drive when you have it back.

I have a paid version of Malwarebytes on a net book. If i put the flash drive in a usb port, and started a scan, will Malwarebytes scan the flash drive? As I've already used the flashdrive at the SaveOn photo center to print the photos.

@Shy

hehe :P

no I meant this:

Change the properties of the "drive" to READ ONLY after you have it loaded with the pix you want to print. (May require ADMIN privileges depending...)

@Shy

hehe :P

no I meant this:

Oh drats - mea culpa!

One can only make the directories on the flash drive READ ONLY; not the device itself UNLESS the device is made by the manufacturer to LOCK/UNLOCK.. Sorry for the misinformation. MagicJack makes their device (which is part "flash drive") "FULL" so there is no room for anything to be written. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to that on a regular flash drive volume. One of the more technically proficient here might know of a way. I'd go with the cheap CD option. :P

I personally upload them to WALGREENS via the internet for my photos that I need actual prints of.

~Shy

Hehe that's okay Shy :P

Drat, I was hoping it was that easy, hehe.

I have two locking drives... one 128 MB and one 512 MB. The second one is full of stuff that I wanted but haven't bothered to look at since I dumped it on there, heh.

I would do mine to the store via their website but I think I'd rather do it at the photo kiosk (I think that's the right word).