Just great, Antivirus 2009 Smart

Run one more MBAM scan for me and post it please, reboot, update MBAM and quick scan. You have two messenger programs running, QuickTime, ITunes and Symantec all running that's enough to cause poor performance. Malware will also fragment lots of files and even damage some system files. If we get a clean MBAM this scan, we can continue with some last steps and maybe some stuff that will help performance.

ok, Before Reboot:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28

Database version: 1203

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9/24/2008 1:24:38 PM

mbam-log-2008-09-24 (13-24-38).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 58205

Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Ok, about my computer running slow, skype is temporary, my dad needs it for work until november or december, then we can uninstall it, what is ITunes doing , i havent opened it up in forever???

What i want to get rid of:

Quicktime

Skype(later on)

so how would i get rid of those??

After Reboot MBAM:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.28

Database version: 1203

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

9/24/2008 1:44:36 PM

mbam-log-2008-09-24 (13-44-36).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 58166

Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 18 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Well those programs always set themselves up to auto start. You can leave them installed but go into the program settings and set them to start manually. Viewpoint is addware force installed by AOL and some other stuff. You will eventually have to reinstall it if your using them for ISP, they won't allow connection. The Skype can also be set to not auto start. Did you do the other maintenance stuff? If your soon to run out on Symantec's license I certainly wouldn't renew. Get something like Avira, its free or has a paid version too. Runs with hardly any resource use and is a great companion for MBAM. Defragging and a reg clean and CCleaner can really speed up performance.

well symantec comes with my dad job and free renewal so is their anyway i can just uninstall it on my profile

cuz my dad has his work profile and i have mine so if their is i would just stop it from working on my profile

anyways, i found one problem wioth the computer, whenever i set it to automatic updates, it always switches back to not automatic updates, any clue why its doing this?

Go to Start > My Computer> Local Disk C right click on C and select properties then the Tools tab. First click on Error Checking, in the box that pops up put a check in both boxes and then click ok when it tells you it can schedule to check on reboot. Reboot. Let the check run. In the same location you will see Defragmentation. Do it. Don't let it tell you it isn't needed, if you don't know what it is it's needed. CCleaner Go to PCPitstop and run the diagnostics. See what they come up with. If you get rid of Symantec you still need something. Malware usually is why auto updates get turned off. Spybot S&D will fix it for you and monitor it.

Your log looks clean. We need to now reset a clean System Restore point. If you don't and you need to use System Restore you will reinfect yourself. Go to Start>Control Panel>System. Click on the System Restore tab and put a check in Turn off System Restore. Then click OK.

Now go to Start>Help and Support > Undo Changes to Your System or System Restore depending on the make of your PC. Click on what ever will open the System Restore box. You will see two options, Choose Create a System Restore Point. Give it a name like Clean Restore Point and today's date. Now if you need to use it you have it.

Many of these infections can be avoided with an added layer of prevention. All recommended programs are free and easy on system resources. You should install them as part of your protection arsenal. Keep MBAM and Spybot Search & Destroy and always immunize SBS&D when you update. You will also need at least one other scanning program Asquared or SuperAntiSpyware are good and there are several other excellent programs with free and paid versions. Read the overviews of what each program below does so you have an understanding of their importance and how to use.

A firewall and antivirus are also essential. The Windows firewall in XP and Vista is not sufficient.

Preform Windows Updates monthly on the second Tuesday or use automatic updates, and use your scanners weekly at the least. Always update before you scan.

Keep other software known for vulnerabilities updated also. Use the Secunia Inspector free scan to identify risks in outdated versions.

SpywareBlaster from Javacool Software

WinPatrol by BillPStudios

SiteHound by FireTrust

RogueRemover

hpHosts

The windows firewall is not sufficient to protect. It doesn't monitor outgoing traffic and this is a must. I use and recommend Online Armor Free

Also the full protection of MBAM is offered at a very low price.

also, my automatic updates still aren't working after an update on spybot and running a full scan so wats still wrong with my computer

one more thing, on my profile it says i need to do an update to Windows XP Service Pack 3 but on my dads profile it doesn't do that so is my profile messed up, and should i do the update??

• Root Admin

Please start NOTEPAD and copy the following text from the code box into Notepad.

Then do a File, Save-as and type this, make sure you include the quote marks.

"C:\fixupdate.bat"

Then open up My Computer and double click the C: drive and find the file you just saved and double click and run it.

DO NOT run it more than once.

Once it is done running reboot your computer and then go to the Windows Update site and scan for updates and update your computer.

@ECHO OFF
REM support.microsoft.com kb 910359
REM support.microsoft.com kb 555989
REM support.microsoft.com kb 943144

ECHO This batch file will rename software distribution
ECHO folders and reregister files but should only be ran
ECHO on systems having troubles running the Windows Update Site
ECHO.
ECHO This link should be run when finished to get all updates
ECHO http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate
ECHO.
ECHO Please press CTRL C to stop this batch file now... or
ECHO.
PAUSE

regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /s c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
net start cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.OLD

regsvr32 /s Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s atl.dll
regsvr32 /s Browseui.dll
regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s initpki.dll
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 /s Msjava.dll
regsvr32 /s Mssip32.dll
regsvr32 /s Mssip32.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml2.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
regsvr32 /s Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 /s qmgr.dll
regsvr32 /s qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /s Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 /s shell32.dll
regsvr32 /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s Softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start Eventlog

PAUSE

it actually worked, the automatic updates are fixed!!!

thank u very much, n thanks to the update my computer runs faster but one last problem is that whenever i log in 2 pop-ups come up saying that a file cannot be found, i forget what they are called but if u need me to, the next time i log in i will write down exactly word for word wat the pop ups say,

i didnt have this problem before the update

thanks

• Root Admin

Depending on what type of dialog box the error is you can often press the key combination CTRL-C while the box is up and it will copy the message to the clipboard and you should be able to then paste that into Notepad. Otherwise yes, please write down EXACTLY what each one says and we'll take a look.

• Root Admin
also, can i delete that code that i pasted into word and saved on the C drive?

Do you mean the batch file to repair the Windows Update? Yes you can delete that.

It was Notepad though and not WORD

{the difference bing that Notepad only supports ASCII characters and Word supports many other formats and would save the file wrong if not specific on how you save it}

I think this article may help you to fix your two error messages when you log on.

• Root Admin

I will close this thread now, but you can open a new post in the PC General forum where we can look at a few things to try to speed up your PC if you like.

At this time your system appears to be clean. Nothing else in the logs indicates that you are still infected.

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

Disable and Enable System Restore-WINDOWS XP

This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:

Turn off System Restore

• On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.

• Click the System Restore tab.

• Check Turn off System Restore.

• Click Apply, and then click OK.

• Reboot.

Turn ON System Restore

• On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
  • Click Properties.

• Click the System Restore tab.

• UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.

• Click Apply, and then click OK.

This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created.

Here are some free programs I recommend that could help you improve your computer's security.

Spybot Search and Destroy 1.5.2

Download it from
here
. Just choose a mirror and off you go.

Find here the tutorial on how to use Spybot properly
here

Install SpyWare Blaster 4.1

Download it from
here

Find here the tutorial on how to use Spyware Blaster
here

Install WinPatrol

Download it from
here

Here you can find information about how WinPatrol works
here

Install FireTrust SiteHound

You can find information and download it from
here

Install MVPS Hosts File

from here

The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer.

You can find a tutorial here :
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Update your Antivirus programs and other security products regularly to avoid new threats that could infect your system.

You can use one of these sites to check if any updates are needed for your pc.

Visit Microsoft often to get the latest updates for your computer.

The windows firewall is not sufficient to protect your system. It doesn't monitor outgoing traffic and this is a must. I recommend
Online Armor Free

A little outdated but good reading on

how to prevent Malware

Keep safe online and happy surfing.

Since this issue is resolved I will close the thread to prevent others from posting into it. If you need assistance please start your own topic and someone will be happy to assist you.

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply to your machine unless you
Fully Understand

how these programs work and what you're doing. Please start a thread of your own and someone will be happy to help you, just follow the Pre-Hijackthis instructions found here before posting
Pre- HJT Post Instructions

Also don't forget that we offer
FREE
assistance with General PC questions and repair here
PC Help

If you're pleased with the product
Malwarebytes
and the service provided you, please let your friends, family, and co-workers know.
http://www.malwarebytes.org