How does this rogue AV install itself??

We had a Server 2003, no AV protection and firewall disabled. Don't even get me started on that decision. Do these rogue AV programs like Security Suite, Windows Defender XP Pro, and all the variants have the ability to install themselves without user interaction? Can they spread and install themselves over a LAN? Does the Conficker worm have the ability to do this, i.e. can I have infected computer A on one side of a LAN infected and the virus is smart enough to port sniff and find any open ports throughout the network to propagate itself?

First off, you are right, you can not run a server without AV on it.....

yes depending on the virus it can spread to other computers on the network....

You need to get some protection on that server for sure, especially if you are going to be connected to the internet on that server. All you have to do is visit a site that is infected and it will infect your computer.

All you have to do is visit a site that is infected and it will infect your computer.

This is known as Drive By Infections - It is the most common and easiest way to be infected -

With these items it is too late to know that you have been hit until after you are in bad shape-

Any Antivirus that is supported by 2003 will do - If you cannot find one , use Clam AV - It even supports Windows 98 -

Malwarebytes supports down to Windows 2000 at this time , but that may run out at a later Version update -

Thank You -

I'm trying to get the higher ups out of the mentality that the days of "put a floppy in and if it's infected then your computer can be infected" are long behind us. The majority of people that write malicious code, sad to say, are extremely intelligent when it comes to computers. So yes, the days of viruses being self-sufficient and wreaking havoc all by themselves is pretty common.

These days, it's put a thumb/pen/flash drive in and you're a gonner.

Also, please say "malwares" not virus. These days, true viruses (except for a small handful) are less common than rogue trojans & the like.

Never, ever connect to internet without an antivirus.

That 's the bare bones minimum. Followed by a hardware router and an anti-malware.