Malwarebytes Shutting Down McAfee

I have the paid version of Malwarebytes. When the real time scan is on it is causing McAfee Security Center to shutdown. When I turn real time scanning off McAfee stays on.

I am getting the following error in Event Viewer:

A thread in process C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.

The process will be terminated. Thread id : 6108 (0x17dc)

Thread address : 0x7C90E514

Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.2.0.723 / 5400.1158

Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mfeapfa.dll

by C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

I could not find the search tool on the forum.

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

I have the paid version of Malwarebytes. When the real time scan is on it is causing McAfee Security Center to shutdown. When I turn real time scanning off McAfee stays on.

I am getting the following error in Event Viewer:

A thread in process C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.

The process will be terminated. Thread id : 6108 (0x17dc)

Thread address : 0x7C90E514

Thread message :

Build VSCORE.14.2.0.723 / 5400.1158

Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mfeapfa.dll

by C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

I could not find the search tool on the forum.

It seems to me it's Malwarebytes scanning Mcafee that's causing McAfee to crash, not the other way around. So excluding Malwarebytes from McAfee will not stop the problem. Is there a way to exclude McAfee files and folders from being scanned by Malwarebytes?

Hi -

You will find that Firefox is 100% correct in what he is saying - We do get conflicts , at times, with McAfee but by allowing McAfee to be bypassed by Malwarebytes the problem will not exist - This is not unusual in any way -

Please read This Item from our FAQ area that relates to McAfee (it may be an earlier version but the same ideas apply) -

Thank You -

What version of McAfee are you running, and is it home user or enterprise?

FWIW, I had no problems with MBAM Pro (active protection) on either my Vista/32 or my Win7/64 systems alongside the OEM, "bundled" 2009 versions of McAfee that came on my Dell systems.

No conflicts, nothing.

Everything worked great, without having to set up any exclusions, etc (though I did confirm in the FW that MBAM exe files had full permissions).

MBAM Pro was configured to load at Windows startup and worked just fine with McAfee 2009.

That said, the 2010 McAfee updates pushed out 2 weeks ago to Dell customers such as myself rendered my computer unbootable, except into basic safe mode.

Not once, but twice.

After >1 week of diagnostics, troubleshooting and other torture, I ended up having to restore the computer to the factory image from the recovery partition (McAfee had corrupted the OS).

So, I cannot say whether the 2010 version of McAfee will run with MBAM, since the first thing I did after restoring the computer was completely, totally, definitively uninstall McAfee.

Given the sordid tales of McAfee current software builds re: installation problems, computer crashes and other serious issues, it would not surprise me if there were conflicts with MBAM.

There is something inherently flawed with their current software, and I will never go back.

Given a choice -- which I didn't have, since McAfee rendered my computer inoperable -- I would find a way to stick with MBAM and to ditch McAfee. ;)

I do hope you get things sorted out!

daledoc1

(I am now running KIS2011, and have just reinstalled MBAM without any glitches...)