Antivirus Suite Removal

Hi Folks,

First and foremost, thank you for this forum. I'm accessing you from my wifi connected laptop. Without that, I'd be in worse shape than I currently am.

I've about sixty hours into trying to remove the malware Antivirus Suite. and apparently the Koobface virus. I did manage to run a boot of Windows Malware Removal tool that identified the koobface virus. I got the virus somehow last week and I've been working the issue ever since. I have read through your forum and numerous postings on the net and tried the usual fixes to no avail. The infection is on the home desktop, which is shared by family. My children both have Facebook accounts, although in fairness, I'm not sure if that was the infection portal.

Nevertheless, I started getting the AV Suite pop ups. I tried to get to task manager to stop the, process but could not. I could not run any programs from that point on. I booted via F8, and one time only, could get to safe mode, but could not activate any antivirus software that I use. After that, the only option that I could load was the repair your computer line, and then get tp a command prompt. If I try anything else, the system tries to repair, fails at a repair, and cannot restart. My only option is to shut down, reboot, and F8 it again.

I tried to load your program, but always get an error stating that the msvbvm60.dll file is missing. I have gotten into the registry and the file is in fact there, despite the warning otherwise. I have tried to install Hijack This, but get a warning that the oledlg.dll file is missing, but that too, is in the registry. I have renamed the mbam file in an effort to spoof the malware, to no avail. I downloaded the tdsskiller program, but see nothing that looks funny. I cannot load rootrepeal, because it's an rar file. (I don't know how to do that) I am downloading programs via a flash drive and moving to the desktop to load from there.

I have spoken with some IT friends who are suggesting a reinstall of Windows 7, but I'm reluctant to do that because I have numerous programs that would be burdensome to reinstall. I do use Carbonite for cloud backup of data. I'm convinced by reading your forum that the malware can be removed. I presume it's just a matter of the correct order of fix.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you again for your insight.

Lastly, I'm patient enough to see this through; it's a matter of pride at this point. I'll fall on my sword before they win. Thankfully, the laptop is at hand.

Hi, and Welcome to Malwarebytes!

Sorry to hear that your are infected, but have no fear, the experts are here......

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

As we don't deal with malware removal in the General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
      Or
    • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

PS: Please use the "ADDREPLY" t_reply.gif button instead of other ones when you start replying. ;)

Hi,

Just bumping because it's been over 48 hours. And as a newbie, I posted in the wrong forum, but I don't know how to move it.

Any help is appreciated, I'm still dead in the water.

Do not be concerned with moving your post. Just copy and paste it to the appropriate place.