Multiple products to protect my PC?

Is it just my imagination, or does it sometimes take more than one product to find and remove a virus/trojan?

I recently noticed some odd behavior, and when I tried to download virus updates in Malewarebytes (and at least one other product), I was blocked from reaching the update url(s). I instantly recognized the behaviour; it has happened twice before. I had to go through the lengthy process of converting the domain name into an IP address and retrieving the virus definitions that way.

Oddly enough, all this was AFTER I had run a full scan of my drives using Norton 360 in the Windows safe mode. Yes, Norton 360 and its virus/trojan updates were current.

Maybe there's some way I can have Malwarebytes update its definitions and scan every day. I just now purchased the full version and will install it tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do for me.

Unfortunately, Malwarebytes has recently not performed as I expect. Example: Last night, I got a pop-up warning from Avira Anti-Virus (yes I installed the free version anyway). It had caught a virus so I clicked the button to remove that file. In the midst of this activity with Avira, I get another pop-up, this one from Norton 360, that it has just found the same virus. I close out of that window and let Avira finish the job. Why didn't Malwarebytes catch this I wondered, so I checked and its virus definitions were all up to date.

So, here's how the race went last night: Avira came in first, Norton 360, and Malwarebytes dead last. How? I think there's a setting somewhere deep inside Malwarebytes that changes how aggressively it scans the hard drive? Also, isn't Malwarebytes supposed to respond soon after something bad arrives on the hard drive?

And, no, I don't know where this virus came from. No P2P software on this PC, and email was turned off at the time of this incident.

@ okieseeker

Some things to note and ponder on.....

1. Your first line of defense is your anti-virus program. The fact that your anti-virus caught this infection is a good thing.

2. Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus software it is an anti-malware software

3. You have Avira and Norton 360 installed and both caught the infection. It is NOT a good idea to run two anti-virus software programs (actively) at the same time. It will cause problems.

Malwarebytes performed as it was designed. Malwarebytes is your second line of defense to catch things that your anti-virus software fails to detect, (mainly cause the anti-virus software does not scan for malware). The definitions file for malwarebytes are not VIRUS definitions.

So, how do I cover my tail? I seem to be having more problems with viruses than malware. Maybe I should configure Malwarebytes check the HD occasionally rather "actively." What settings change would you make if you were in my shoes?

3. You have Avira and Norton 360 installed and both caught the infection. It is NOT a good idea to run two anti-virus software programs (actively) at the same time. It will cause problems.

What the heck is going on now?

Malwarebytes' pop-up balloons showing that something is trying to reach dangerous IP addresses has returned. I don't know why. There are no recent file downloads, and I have only installed two new pieces of software: Revo Uninstaller and ImportExportTools (a Thunderbird add-on). But were scanned and pronounced safe when they landed on my hard drive. Yes I'm still running Malwarebytes and Avira Antivirus at the same time.

Does Malwarebytes have a tool to tell me what is trying to phone home???

Here's a test I ran:

Any P2P uninstalled, trash emptied, PC restarted.

Updated MBAM.

No applications running.

Internet connection active.

In one hour, at least 10 MBAM pop-ups about successfully blocking access to "potentially malicious websites."

Nothing in the sparse help docs about this. The best idea I have is to give up on bugging people in this forum, and start identifying every single process running in the Windows Task Manager to find out what might be running that is trying to connect to these bad sites.