Malmarebytes stops running

Hello,

I installed Malwarebytes (free version) on my laptop and tried to run it after updating (it is version 4423). It runs just fine until 35 - 40 min in when it comes across the file: C:\WINDOWS\system\TIMER.DRV I use it's Full Scan function. My computer uses Windows XP Home Edition.

Please download DebugView from this link, and follow the instructions below to get me an error log:

1. Download DebugView. Make sure to save it on your Desktop instead of clicking 'Run' or 'Open'.
  2. Right-click on the 'DebugView' file that you just saved on your Desktop, and select "Extract All".
  3. Open the new DebugView folder that was created on your Desktop after extracting.
  4. Windows XP and 2000 users should double-click on the file named 'Dbgview'. Windows 7 and Vista users should right-click and select "Run as Administrator".
  5. Click on the 'Capture' menu, and select everything except "Log Boot" (you will have to open the menu again after clicking to select an item).
  6. Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and run the same scan you were trying to run before.
  7. After the scan freezes, wait a couple of minutes, and then switch back to DebugView and click 'File' and "Save As" in order to save the log to a file on your Desktop.
  8. Please attach that log file to a reply so that we may analyze it for errors.

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for the slow reply. For some reason I didn't see this topic earlier when I was looking for topics I had been assisting users with.

Anyway, that log shows a lot of errors from one of our drivers. Apparently it's having trouble finding index entries for files, which means that's there is either something wrong with the file system on your hard drive or something is preventing the driver from properly reading the index in the file system. Let me see if our QA guy knows why this is happening. It's possible that running a disk check from a bootable disk will resolve the problem.

Hi -

I am leaving details on running a DiskCheck as advised by GT500 -

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

• Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Thank You -

OK, our QA guy mentioned that it could be the Shuriken heuristics causing the issue. Please open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, click on the 'Settings' tab, then click on "Scanner Settings", and uncheck the option to "Enable advanced heuristics engine". Let me know if a Full Scan will run after doing that.

OK, our QA guy mentioned that it could be the Shuriken heuristics causing the issue. Please open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, click on the 'Settings' tab, then click on "Scanner Settings", and uncheck the option to "Enable advanced heuristics engine". Let me know if a Full Scan will run after doing that.

Yes, the full scan ran just fine after I unchecked that option.

Yes, the full scan ran just fine after I unchecked that option.

OK, our developers have fixed this bug in version 1.47, so just leave the Shuriken heuristics turned off for now and when 1.47 releases you can turn them back on. ;)

Right now we don't have an ETA (they are doing some serious work under the hood in 1.47 so it's taking a while to finish), but we hope to be able to start internal beta testing within the next couple of weeks.