RECYCLER?

I have a partitioned hard drive with c: being my "programs" and d: containing my data. Today I noticed a newly created folder on my d: drive named "RECYCLER". I tried to delete but no-go. Is this a virus? I'm almost through a MalwareBytes scan on both C & D and it hasn't found anything. I've searched online and have seen a few instructions

Thanks in advance.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer -

This is the result from a quick search into your question - I hope it answers it for you -

C:/RECYCLER Folder

C:/SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION Folder

The RECYCLER folder is the recycle bin. The recycle bin on your desktop is simply a shortcut to all the RECYCLER folders in your computer. If you have a C:\ D:\ and E:\, your recycle bin shows the contents of C:\RECYCLER D:\RECYCLER and E:\RECYCLER. Having these RECYCLER folders on each drive saves the OS from having to copy a deleted file or folder from any other drive to the C:\ drive.

<a href="http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/42357...ler-folder.html" target="_blank">http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/42357...ler-folder.html</a>

Removing Recycler folder

Recycler is a read only folder. To view the folder, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab and uncheck the option of Hide Protected operating System Files. Right click on the folder, go to Properties and unselect the option of Read Only. Now it can be deleted.

Thank You -

Ummm, just not sure. I've had the computer configured this way for a year and this folder has appeared in the last day or so. It has one file in it named, "S-1-5-21-1417001333-1454471165-682003330-1003". If it's a normal thing, why show up all of a sudden.

Not trying to be contrary... just nervous.

Thanks.

Hi -

Unless you have been actually looking for this item , it could have been in "Hidden Files and Folders" -

Drive C: and drive D: will both have this item - It is just knowing where to look -

Thank You -

EDIT -

I researched the string you left and could not find any problems related to it -

Remove the file if you wish , but if your antivirus and Malwarebytes find nothing I would ignore it -

Hi - If you wish to -

Removing Recycler folder

Recycler is a read only folder. To view the folder, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab and uncheck the option of Hide Protected operating System Files. Right click on the folder, go to Properties and unselect the option of Read Only. Now it can be deleted.

Thank you -

EDIT -

Is there a prefix such as C: or D: depending on where it is -

Run a full scan if you are not sure and that will show if it is a problem -