Malwarebytes' AntiMalware - impossible to upgrade-error 12150.

Guest zbyszek.macos

Guest zbyszek.macos

After the reinstallation Malwarebytes' AntiMalware on the "Update" I see:

Date: 4/29/2010

Database Version: 4052

Information about the risks: 227746

When I click "Check for Update" appears in an error

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12150, 0, WinHttpQueryHeaders).

I do not know what it means or what to do.

I tried to advice from the website:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=58003

- Did not help.

What can I do in this situation?

Waiting for help

Best regards

- zbyszek.macos

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING means that there was an error updating either the database or the application. Please make sure that your firewall is set to allow mbam.exe to access the Internet, and that you are able to navigate to the Malwarebytes website at the following address:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

***Norton Internet Security***

Please note that users have reported an issue with Norton Internet Security's Add On Pack. Apparently the parental and privacy controls are blocking our update and need to be disabled for our update to work properly. This issue was reported by a user at the following link:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=232256

Note that it may be possible to set Norton's parental and privacy controls to always allow the following address, and this should resolve the issue:

http://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/v0/database/version.check

If everything else seems OK, then please download and run the traceroute utility at the following link:

http://tools.malwarebytes.org/traceroute_m...rebytes_cdn.exe

It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Note that it may take several minutes to run, and it may look like it is not doing anything for a few minutes. Normally it takes longer when there are errors that it has to log, but it's rare for it to go more than 10 minutes.

Hello;

I sympathize with you. Have dreadfully experienced this and no other help came through to solve the updates error on my side. Ended up trying different DNS servers on my connections for both wireless DSL and dial-up. Only changing to OpenDNS solved it for me. Now having no update error for 1+week now.

If everything else seems OK, then please download and run the traceroute utility at the following link:

http://tools.malwarebytes.org/traceroute_malwarebytes_cdn.exe

It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Note that it may take several minutes to run, and it may look like it is not doing anything for a few minutes. Normally it takes longer when there are errors that it has to log, but it's rare for it to go more than 10 minutes.

--- Even this solution was not given to me. Good luck to you!

malik521

@malik521: the link you gave is a dead one.

They had copied and pasted part of my instructions, and enclosed it in quotes instead of using the quote tag. I fixed it for them, and fixed the link. :)

As far as the DNS issue, it seems to be pretty wide-spread at the moment. I have had a lot of people with what appeared to be hijacked DNS settings on their routers. OpenDNS is one solution to the problem, but of course resetting the router/modem/etc back to factory default settings will fix it for every computer that is connected through it. There are also some DNS servers provided by ISP's that do not restrict who uses them, and you can manually change your DNS settings to use them (although a service like OpenDNS is easier for the average user, if you can stand the way they redirect you to their search engine when you type a bad address into your browser).

Great thanks for that info, lets hope this helps all those folks that have this addon pack and can not update.

According to Symantec it will solve Add-On Pack related problems with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. There is a possibility that version 1.47 of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will resolve issue, but we can't really guarantee what fixes will be in the final release, and we have not yet started internal testing.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have the problem with updating on my wife's and son's computers, the error I get is:-

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12007,0,winhttpsendrequest)

I tried running the traceroute things and got:-

-----------------------------------------------

Traceroute Malwarebytes CDN version 1.5

17/09/2010

21:47:03.56

Phase #1

Tracerouting: data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Server: UnKnown

Address: 213.109.67.72

============================================================

Phase #2

Tracerouting: llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Phase #3

Tracerouting: edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Unable to resolve target system name edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com.

DNS Info

Finished at: 21:47:07.15

-----------------------------------------------------------

I dont understand what the above means, but still cannot update. I'm using Firefox 3.6.10 and mbam.exe is allowed on windows firewall.

Help?!

That log shows a DNS issue. Do you connect to the Internet through a router? If so, then the DNS settings have probably been hijacked. The best way to solve this problem is to press and hold the little reset button on the back of the router until the power light starts blinking. This will reset the router to factory default settings, and this should resolve the DNS issues. Note that if this is a wireless router, that this will also reset all encryption settings as well, and you will need to set back up any encryption that you had to prevent unauthorized access.

Hi -

I have found this article works for 99% of these problems - You have listed a Russian IP in your reply for the Tracert -

You may want to print or write these directions as you will disconnect from the internet for a while -

1. Very important: First disconnect your computer from the internet. (Just Log off)

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your interent connection:

• Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Double click on Network Connections.
  • Right click on your default connection (usually Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and select Properties.
  • Select the General tab.
  • Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    ?Under General tab:
  • Select "Obtain an IP address automatically".
  • Select "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
  • Click OK twice to save the settings.
  • Reboot if you had to change any setting.

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Run or press Windows Logo+R
  • In the command window copy/paste the following:
    ipconfig /flushdns

• Then hit enter.
  • It will just flash and go away in seconds .
  • Exit the command window.

5. Reconnect: Once you have followed all the above steps you can reconnect your computer to the internet.

Thank You -

• 2 weeks later...