Malware Removed?

First, I hope that I am posting in the correct location. Here's what I got:

Keep in mind, I did this stuff before finding this forum.

A couple of days ago I got a virus/malware that presented itself with a blue background and a wallpaper ad that said, Warning! Computer infected with spyware. Please update your antivirus software. Something like that.

Symptoms were that my internet browser continuously redirected to anti-virus software sites.

First, I downloaded Ad-Aware and ran that. It didnt help.

Next, I downloaded HiJackThis! and ran that, deleted some stuff it found but still had problems. Luckily, I don't think I deleted anything too important.

Next, I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It found tons of stuff, I cleaned it all and now everything seems to be working good. I love you, Malwarebytes!

Now that it seems like I have gotten rid of this, how do I make sure? And how do I stay protected going forward?

Thanks in advance.

• Root Admin

Hello virushater and Welcome to Malwarebytes.

At the top of this forum you'll see a PRE-HIJACKTHIS post. Please read and follow the directions as posted there exactly as requested.

Detecting and removing Malware needs to be done in a specific order to increase the ability with which we can help you to ensure your system is clean.

Follow those directions, and post back the requested logs here and myself or someone else will be happy to assist you.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this topic has had no reply for over 5 days it will be closed to prevent other from posting into it. Should you decide to resume with your assistance PM any staff member and we will be happy to reopen the topic.

Note: the fixes in this topic are for this system only. Applying them to your system can cause severe damage and result in utter system failure. If you need help start your own topic and someone will be happy to assist you.