Quick Scan taking several hours

We were unable to get our PC (running XP) to boot normally, so I booted it in safe mode with networking. Initially, I was not able to get Malwarebytes to launch, it was not on the menu, and nothing happened when I clicked the icon in the folder. Based on a suggestion I found on this forum, I renamed the file (I think I used winlogon.exe), and then it started. I started the quick scan as described in the forum post I was looking at, and expected it to be quick.

It has been running for over 8 hours now. After about 2 and a half hours, it stopped listing the files it was scanning and now says "Other items are being scanned'' and slowed down to 1 item every 50 seconds or so. At the time it showed 17 infected items, then after a couple more hours (not sure as I was not watching at the time) it jumped to over 9000 (now at 9392) infected items.

I am wondering if there is some way to clean up the items it has found so far, and maybe that might speed things up.

At 50 seconds per item scanned, and so far over 137000 items scanned, I am not sure how long this will take. I certainly didn't expect a quick scan to take more than 8 hours.

If I pause the scan will I have any options, or is the only option to clean up after the scan is complete?

Or do you have any other suggestions. Or any idea how long I should expect this to take from here? Do I just let it run all night?

Thanks

Hi -

First I think if you click the stop , it may allow you to delete some of those items -

Then you will (at the least) need our experts to try and salvage what they can - Please follow the instructions below -

Please try and do as much as you can , even if you use safe mode -

As we don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums please follow these directions -

Please print out, read and follow the directions Here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via Here

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :rolleyes: