Feedback, and a question

Earlier today, when opening MBAM, I got the dreaded MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE(0, 5) error message again.

Having dealt with this previously, I deleted the rules.ref file, re-booted and opened/updated MBAM again, only to receive the same error. I repeated this cycle several times, all with the same result. (It didn't help my peace of mind that I coincidently could not access this forum for almost an hour!)

Finally I realised I was downloading the same (corrupt?) database (all of them 5,268 KB), and should probably wait until a new DB was released, which I did. Eventually DB v.4386 (5,265 KB) was released, and MBAM now is working.

Here is my concern:

A previous poster with the same message error also reported that deleting the rules.ref file did not work. He was advised to uninstall MBAM, and download and run mbam-clean.exe etc. I was almost at the point where I was going to try this! Luckily, I waited.

Several posters have now noted this error message.

My question is, if MBAM is configured for automatic updates, as mine is, and you receive this error, would not the best solution be to do nothing, and wait for a new DB release?

Finally I realised I was downloading the same (corrupt?) database (all of them 5,268 KB), and should probably wait until a new DB was released, which I did. Eventually DB v.4386 (5,265 KB) was released, and MBAM now is working.

At times many do what you did - This is one of the reasons that we head people towards a Un/Re install -

If they have a corrupted version (has occured several times) of the program and are in a bit of a panic then by the time they do agree to reinstall and update to whatever is the next database version the problem is solved -

There may also be an item in an update that "clashes" with their A/V or another installed program in that database version -

The answer (as you have found) is very un explainable in many cases , but by Un / Clean /Re Install function it seems to clear most problems -

If it works etc. etc. .....

Thank You -

EDIT -

Did you note the D/bases you listed - D/b1 = 5,268 Vs D/b2 = 5,265 - Usually the D/base increases each update - Maybe something was removed/altered -

Or maybe you just listed them in reverse ??

(It didn't help my peace of mind that I coincidently could not access this forum for almost an hour!)

Internet problem or another problem - Internet connection may have caused a fault ??

Also (0,5) - This is usually a rare and recent problem , you list it as getting again and having dealt with this previously ??

Thanks for the reply.

I'm quite sure about the sequence of databases, and can provide the files if necessary. The older one (5,268 KB) repeatedly caused the error, and the current one (5,265 KB) did not. Why it is smaller I do not know.

You claim this is a rare problem, yet this is the second time for me in the past few weeks:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=285056

Several others report the exact same error in recent weeks:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=287555

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=294262

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=293123

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=291211

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=287398

I don't see a common factor in all these threads. I use NOD32 v4.2 as my AV, and although I have the paid version of MBAM, I do not even run it in real time.

I do not know what the conflict is here, but thought you should know about it. Uninstalling/reinstalling MBAM is one option that might well work, but in my case was unneccessary.

Hi again joe53 -

Just another option that I noticed I had in the back of my files -

This Page was sent from a Mod at ESET NOD Forum after their latest update that may assist you with adding exclusions -

It has been helpful to others with similar problems with ESET NOD32 v4.2 -

This is the list (which you most likely seen or used) of the exclusions to add to your A/V -

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

NOTE: The Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) is new with Windows Vista Service Pack 1 and later and with Windows Server 2008.

Follow-up:

Excluding those files in my AV and Outpost Pro firewall did not work- I got the same error message again last night (strike 3!). This time I just deleted the rules.ref file (5,276 KB), and waited til this morning to update to DB v.4392 (5,280 KB).

MBAM is now working again, but I'm seeing a pattern develop here that is not good. MBAM always worked well until 2 weeks ago, and I've added no software except MS security patches during this time. I can only conclude that something in MBAM has changed, to account for this.

I would add that this system has never been infected, AFAIK, and continues to scan clean.

Earlier today, when opening MBAM, I got the dreaded MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE(0, 5) error message again. [snip]

My question is, if MBAM is configured for automatic updates, as mine is, and you receive this error, would not the best solution be to do nothing, and wait for a new DB release?

Hmmm...any time I have gotten that error message (and though I never used to get it, I now seem to get it about once a week, but there's no pattern I can see), I've deleted the rules.ref file and MBAM then downloaded a new copy of the database. That has always worked for me--I've never gotten the message twice in the same day. Also, I've noticed that when I put my cursor over the MBAM icon in the system tray, it tells me what database it's supposedly using, and the database is the same number as the one that supposedly didn't load. And when I download a new copy and am told that MBAM successfully updated the database from version 0 to version XXXX, XXXX is the same number that it had tried and failed to load before, and the same number that shows up in the system tray icon. So it doesn't seem as if the XXXX database is corrupted and one should wait for the next upgrade. Rather, it seems as if something is occasionally going wrong with the loading of the database. When I download it again right away, it's fine.

I think you're experiencing a somewhat different problem, since you get the error message repeatedly, whereas I get it only once. For someone experiencing what you are, it may make sense to wait until the next database is issued, but for those of us whose problem is solved simply by deleting rules.ref and having MBAM try again, there's no need to wait.