Question about MBAM updating error

I have a problem similiar to gators. I had a "unknown network" problem and this inexperienced with modems, networks user tried to update and run MBAM. I had no internet access that day. MBAM's message was:" An error has occurred. Please report this error code to our support team. MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING(12007,0, WinHttpSendRequest)." If I read gators' thread correctly that poster's error message was identical to mine. I have looked for that code on this website, but could not find the exact code.

I had a P.E. check my computer out two days later when I had internet access and he fixed minor problems. He did run some checks for malware. He said my computer was fine. Later I had problems with an intrusion blocked by my ISP's Norton 360 and after running MBAM, Malware.Trace was detected in a file C:\User\user name\list.txt. I had all this checked out in my ISP's forum, but unlike gators, my computer tested as clean. I should mention that on the day the P.E. check my computer, I had Avast and the unknown network error occurred after Avast updated(not the program itself, the "virus profiles" database or whatever you call it). My P.E. changed me over to Norton.

Can you tell me if I need to uninstall and then install MBAM? I think MBAM is updating fine.

Is it a false positive if a TEXT file is tagged as Malware.Trace? I have not checked it at VirusTotal. Have similar text file in different folders of "My docs"(I have Windows Vista SP2 , 32 bit version).

Npersn31

Can you tell me if I need to uninstall and then install MBAM? I think MBAM is updating fine.

Hi npersn31 -

If you can update now, and as I type this, the current is update Version 4368 and you can run a clean Quick Scan then you have no problem -

Please let us know if you do not get this update or can not perform a clean Quick Scan -

Thank You -

Hi npersn31 -

If you can update now, and as I type this, the current is update Version 4368 and you can run a clean Quick Scan then you have no problem -

Please let us know if you do not get this update or can not perform a clean Quick Scan -

Thank You -

Thank you noknojon for your reply. I am not sure the following matters, but in case it does, I am including the information. Not knowing how to disable my ISP's Norton 360, I ran MBAM as administrator with Norton on. I did not start any scan of Norton's that is not automatic/idle background. The Norton firewall was on. Any intrusion would probably be blocked. I have not excluded MBAM from scanning as far as I know. A P.E. who set up MBAM might have done so, yet I don't know how to find out much about Norton 360's settings. MBAM updated from 4345 to 4368 and then I performed a Quick Scan which was clean. MBAM finished the scan shortly before this post.

The scan that found the text file to have Malware.Trace was in safe mode and I think, but am not certain if a Norton scan preceeded or followed the MBAM scan. I cannot recall any trouble other than the update error mentioned in my previous post with normal mode and MBAM. How do I know what to do with that file?

Npersn31

Hi Again -

The scan that found the text file to have Malware.Trace was in safe mode

First please note that , unless asked by an expert , Malwarebytes is not designed to be used in Safe Mode as the results can, at the least, be conflicting -

Please see This Picture for an example of how to disable the Add on Pack it this was installed with your Norton version and you still want to leave it -

Also I have included a link HERE to a program, RA Products, that provides an uninstaller for your Norton if you wish to remove it -

Also note that you only need one (and do require one) Antivirus to be installed -

If you are not experiencing any A/Virus conflicts this below may have been done and can be ignored -

If you need to add exclusions the list is provided below -Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows Vista or Windows 7

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went -

Thank You -

EDIT -

Please use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page to respond and not the REPLY Tab , as it will fully quote all of the last reply -

I have questions and thus have not attempted any of the actions listed. I have only one Antivirus and it is my ISP's Norton 360 which I am given to understand is different from just Norton 360(questions go into Other Norton Products for more visibility in Norton's Community forum.). Avast was only around when my friend uninstalled it in favor of Norton. Just to get that clear! I have not configured the part of Norton 360 that is shown in the picture and would like to know what to do. Can you tell me? My firewall is Norton and I run on demand only MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware. I did have at one time Spyblaster and Spybot search and Destroy; I am not using them anymore. I use Norton Safe Search and McAfee Site Advisor (which I am questioning whether I should uninstall it).

So:

(1) Do you need exclusions if you run MBAM on demand and do not use any real time protection features of MBAM?

(2) If the answer to (1) is yes, and you have not configured the Parental Add-on of Norton 360, what do you do?

(3) Do I need to look into exclusions for on demand scanner SuperAntiSpyware? McAfee Site Advisor?

(4) Should I take that file out of quarantine and run MBAM again?

Npersn31

Hi - Sorry I took a while to get back -

(1) You are not experiencing problems with your A/virus so ignore - (2) Ignore as you have a very basic Norton version -

If you are not experiencing any A/Virus conflicts this below may have been done and can be ignored -

(3) No - Not unless you are experiencing problems

The scan that found the text file to have Malware.Trace was in safe mode and I think, but am not certain if a Norton scan preceeded or followed the MBAM scan. I cannot recall any trouble other than the update error mentioned in my previous post with normal mode and MBAM. How do I know what to do with that file?

The error code 12007 is Microsoft - (4) Do you know if the text file is a downloaded file or self created -

It seems like a normal text file unless it came from a uTorrent , bitTorrent type of site - Then delete it fully -

If you use/have used Limewire or any other similar file sharing site then this can be the list text - Again delete it -

Remember to always run the scans in normal mode -

Anything I missed please always post back , as we do miss (or misunderstand) items -

Thank You - :lol:

To create most of the list.txt files on my computer, I found a way to create folder listings on Ehow. Is Ehow a uTorrent, bitTorrent type of site? I don't think so, but don't know for sure. As far as I know, I don't use either uTorrent, bit Torrent. The file in MBAM's quarantine is:C:\Users\User Name\list.txt. I am not sure if this file was put on my computer as I looked at the article on Ehow or if the procedure I used to create list.txts (2 individual files) in two diffent folders in my Documents folder created it. I was looking at Ehow when I performed at least one of them.

The procedure that I followed was: I went to the folder for which I needed a directory listing. Holding the shift key on the keyboard, I right-clicked an open area of the folder. then I clicked "open command window Here" to open a command prompt window inside the directory. I typed "dir > list.txt" (text within quotes) into command prompt window and hit enter. There was a new file called "list.txt" in the folder. I then was able to see a basic listing of the directory. I did not print it. Did that for another folder. I must have done that for the entire Documents folder as there is a list.txt for the entire folder in Documents folder.

You said:

The error code is Microsoft - (4) Do you know if the text file is a downloaded file or self created -

It seems like a normal text file unless it came from a uTorrent , bitTorrent type of site - Then delete it fully -

If you use/have used Limewire or any other similar file sharing site then this can be the list text - Again delete it -

Anything I missed please always post back , as we do miss (or misunderstand) items -. So what should I do with this file in this case? I have not use Limewire.

As for McAfee Site Advisor, sometimes it is blocked when I use Norton Search and other times it is not. What do you think, should I uninstall McAfee Site Advisor?

Thanks so much for your time and in advance for your reply!

Npersn31

Hi - Sorry I took a while to get back -

(1) You are not experiencing problems with your A/virus so ignore - (2) Ignore as you have a very basic Norton version -

(3) No - Not unless you are experiencing problems

The error code is Microsoft - (4) Do you know if the text file is a downloaded file or self created -

Anything I missed please always post back , as we do miss (or misunderstand) items -

Thank You - :rolleyes:

I got a bit impatient and ran Jotti's and Virus total after restoring it to original position. I put it in a suspect folder for checking it out. Now I have a copy in suspect folder AND the original file in original location. Neither Jotti's nor VirusTotal found anything wrong with the file. MBAM in normal mode found nothing wrong with the file(MBAM had disliked it in safe mode.). Does this mean the file is safe and my procedure is ok to use?

Npersn31