view pictues as slideshow/filmstrip

I'm trying to view some pictures like you can in XP (and earlier) when they are in a folder, and you can choose "view as filmstrip" (or maybe its slide show) without having to actually open up the pictures, but I don't see a way to really do that on Vista from within the picture folder.

Is there a way to do this, does anyone know?

Edit: I found the Windows photo gallery thing, but that's not really want I want. That worked basically like the film strip, but I also want to be able to view the pictures thumbnails as their actual images, instead of the default blue sky w/ clouds that shows for EACH picture's thumbnail.

Is there any way to do this?

I'm viewing them off a thumb drive though, they aren't saved to the computer (I don't know if that makes a difference)... I just see the blue sky, mountain, cloud thumbnails (it doesn't show to me like your thumbnails screen shot), but when I double click on a picture, I can arrow through them and see them.

Like sho-dan said, the latest version of PICASA is also great - with more controls. :) I was just thinking of the programs that came with VISTA and wasn't sure you had enough CPU/RAM to run some of the more complicated programs. :)

~Shy

• Root Admin

Well I posted this a couple of years ago so it's not up to date and I'll have to do multiple posts because our forum software won't allow too many quoted blocks of text.

I'm sure most of them are still around and with newer versions and probably different pricing but it's a start.

Free Video Editing Software

Microsoft Photo Story 3

Microsoft Photo Story 3

Overview

Create slideshows using your digital photos. With a single click, you can touch-up, crop, or rotate pictures. Add stunning special effects, soundtracks, and your own voice narration to your photo stories. Then, personalize them with titles and captions. Small file sizes make it easy to send your photo stories in an e-mail. Watch them on your TV, a computer, or a Windows Mobile

• Root Admin

Pro / Semi-Pro user versions with higher learning curves

Avid Media Composer 3.0 $2,495.00

Avid Media Composer 3.0

Buy Avid Media Composer 3.0 online

The world's most powerful film and video editing software

If you're a creative editor, you want an editing tool that not only makes storytelling simple, but helps you track your project, organize your media, and pull you through the trouble spots. That's why so many professionals trust their best ideas to Avid Media Composer. Unsurpassed creative tools, rock-solid media management, and the highest quality effects and output make Media Composer the most powerful editing solution available

Avid Liquid 7 $499.99

Pinnacle/Avid Liquid 7

Avid Liquid

• Root Admin

Other Video / 3D related software

Blender

Blender

Blender is the free open source 3D content creation suite, available for all major operating systems under the GNU General Public License.

Jahshaka

Jahshaka

• Edit with flexibility and speed
  • Create Effects in real time
  • Animate with unlimited features
  • Paint and design on moving video
  • Create music with all the tools the pros use
  • Work in any format at any resolution

AVIedit

AVIedit

AVIedit allows you to join and split avi files, extract frames and do whatever you want... You can capture video by number of ways, including one-frame-per-minute (web camera) option, workaround annoying 2 Gb file size limit, send your videos to printer, heavy compress it and post to your webpage. You can change framerate, duration, frame size, color depth of your videos and other properties, even without recompression and without loss of video quality. AVIedit allows you to convert avi clips to bmp and bmp to avi, animated GIFs etc.

Avidemux

Avidemux

Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks

StoryBoard Pro

StoryBoard Pro

Atomic Learning's FREE Video StoryBoard Pro is designed to give teachers, students, and home movie makers a tool to plan ahead when creating video projects

Video Help

Video Help

Video Guys - Sales {can be used to find products and information - then search for better pricing elsewhere if desired}

Video Guys

WE ARE THE VIDEO EDITING & PRODUCTION EXPERTS!

Videoguys.com is family owned and operated and has proudly served videographers and producers like you for the past 25 years. For three generations, we have been shooting footage of our growing families and have spent countless hours editing. We actually install and use the equipment we sell and we love to share our experience and expertise with you.

Whether you

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

I will definitely be checking out the links!

However, I was viewing these items off of my thumb drive, and this is all I want it to do {pic example below}, from within the folder (which it seems like is not possible on Vista [maybe only when the pics are save to the computer it is via WPG, not quite sure since they didn't really have many pictures saved], which is a shame)

The computer has 1.5 GB of RAM :lol: