Anyone help please ?

stesco

Hello all, hope someone can help me here.

I have just installed a new O/S, Windows XP 64bit sp2

After downloading & installing MB successfully I did an immediate up-date ( as you do) however as soon as the up-date finished I got the message

MBAR_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE (0,5)

I uninstalled MB completely and re-installed......exactly the same problem :)

I am running Windows Firewall and MB is an 'exception'

I am also behind a Router but I do not think that is causing the problem or I wouldn't have been able to up-date MB surely ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I think MB is one of the best free programs out and have been using it for about 2years on my previous set-up with no problem.

Thnx in advance.

MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE Error....

Please follow the instructions below to correct this error.....

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

MBAM_ERROR_LOAD_DATABASE Error....

Please follow the instructions below to correct this error.....

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Some things to try......

What anti-virus software are you using? Have you added exceptions to your anti-virus software for malwarebytes?

By the way,

It would be a good idea to update to SP3 as support (including new security updates) ends July 13, 2010 for SP 2:

As Disscussed HERE

Please post back if you have further questions.

Thank You :)

PS: Please use the "ADDREPLY" t_reply.gif button instead of other ones when you start replying. :)

Just thought of something, I have Net Framework 2 SP2, Net framework 3 SP2 and Net Framework 3.5 all installed (only just noticed through Add/Remove progs.....could this be causing a conflct ? and if so what do you advise? sorry if it's obvious but I am a bit naive' in 'puter knowledge !

I do not think it has anything to do with the fact that you have 64bit......

I have on some computers installed several versions of .net framework and have no issues, it should not conflict. I have software that even though I have .net 3.5 installed it will not run unless .net 2.0 is installed.

So should not be .net either.

add the exceptions in your AVG software for malwarebytes, the files that need excluding are listed below:

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

• Root Admin

I think it is some new setting that AVG is using. I was on a system last night remotely and MBAM was working correctly as it should. We had cleanly removed a corrupted AVG 9 w/Firewall installation and then re-installed it and setup all the known file exclusions but now MBAM will no longer load the Protection Module, it give a handle error 18 loading the PM.

I still need to investigate further what's going on there.

Code 18

The drivers for this device need to be reinstalled. (Code 18)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

Solution button: Reinstall Driver

This code means that an error has occurred and the device needs to be reinstalled.

To resolve this issue, follow the recommended solution. If that does not work, try removing the device from Device Manager and then running the Add New Hardware Wizard in Control Panel.

As an aside please check all drivers in your Device Manager panel as some may not have been fully updated when you changed to 64bit -

You can do this after you upgrade to XP SP3 as there is no longer support for SP2 - -

Thank You -

• Root Admin

He got the 18 error from an issue I saw, though that description of the error doesn't make a lot of sense either.

The first step would be to follow the directions below to rule out any Malware. Once Malware has been ruled out then we can look at other incompatibility issues.

Please follow directions below and someone will work with you one on one to assist you in that forum.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

I am running Windows Firewall and MB is an 'exception'

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well -

I just picked this up in #1 post here - MBAM free "should not" be required to be added to exceptions in a Windows Firewall - :)