windows update and system restore come up as blank page

mc42

Has anyone encountered or heard of this problem? I can access the internet and go to any link fine, but when i go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ the page says "done" at the bottom left, but there is just an empty white page. Also, if i try to go to system restore nothing happens when i click on the left of mouse, if i right click system restore from the start menu and then click open, a page with "system restore" comes up at the top, but the rest of the page is empty and white. I updated Malwarebytes and did a scan and found nothing. Norton 360 is running and and updates automatically on its own. I reinstalled Windows ix 8 , and during that process, it was able to download updates for itself (after it did a scan and found nothing malicious). But i still cannot even get anything but an empty white page when i go to Microsoft or windows update page (it was all updated to July 14th and was working fine) This problem started yesterday, when i downloaded and tried to install avast5 on the computer while Norton 360 was just disabled but not removed (as i wasn't sure i would keep keep avast 5). I know you are not suppose to have 2 av running on the same computer, but i have had avast 4 and Norton 360 running together on this computer for a couple of years with no conflicts ever. So i disabled Norton, downloaded avast five and and from that point i was not able to connect to the internet. So i uninstalled avast (with their uninstall tool) , started Norton again. At first everything was very slow loading, Firefox ect, but i was able to connect to the internet again. But since that time i have gotten the white blank page for windows update, and also for system restore, when i thought to try it, to go to an earlier date.

I had tried that also. For system restore,in safe mode, it was the same white blank page. It did not connect to internet from safe mode, so I couldto try to see if windows update page came up like it should. Because i could update malwarebytes, norton 360, and and pc spyware dr (which i downloaded and updated ok) , I assume it is not a virus, as I had read that a virus often keep you from updating and running such programs. At one point when i was trying to run avast5 (with norton 360 just disabled, not removed) an ie note came up saying something to the effect "this page is trying to run an active x (i think it said) and it might not be compatible with your current settings" the choices were "debug" or "cancel" (i think) i tried each when that came up to see if that cleared up not being able to connect to internet at that time. Neither helped, so i uninstalled avast 5 and went back to just running with norton 360 turned back on. I'm not knowledgeable much when it comes to computers. Could some registry key have been deleted or changed? Or some component of Windows, a "Dll", have been removed or damaged? Also, i don't know what "debug" does.

Also, Secunia psi that i had before no longer loads. When i click on it , the there is a quick response like something is about to open up, but then it disappears and nothing happens. I checked the version of java i have, and it updated to a newer version, but that did not help with any of the problems. Is the some software that checks for missing or corrupt registry keys. or dlls, and fixes or downloads them?

Also, when I go to control panel , then user account, then user account again under "or pick a Control panel icon" , that also comes up with a white blank page instead of showing any user accounts (there should be two).

When I viewed the source code for the blank page, part of it said "You have tried to visit Windows Update with a browser that does not support Frames or ActiveX® technology." But I don't know how to correct for that. Any suggestions? I was using ie 8. Thanks.

Hi -

Among other things , I would try to remove the Secunia and PC Spyware Dr for a start - Then see if there is any change -

Just because no infection appeared will not mean the system is fully cleaned or healthy , especially with your current problems -

Unless exile360 or AdvancedSetup wants you to run an Autoruns or dds script, I would head to the experts and treat it as an infection -

The chances are that it is not an infection but they know the tests to make -

Please print out, read and follow the directions Here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via Here

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :lol: