Run-time error '440': Automation error

Good Evening,

This afternoon my Webroot SpySweeper with Anti-Virus (BEST BUY version) updated from a previous version (program update) downloaded & installed well, and restarted computer, yet now Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware wont launch. Wether I click the desktop short cut icon, mini icon in lower tray/toolbar, or go into All Programs Anti-Malware, I get 2 different pop-ups Pop-up 1)

vbAccelerator SGrid II Cont... (Run-time error '0')

Pop-up 2)

Run-time error '440': Automation error

Can someone please tell me what I need to do so that I can run/use Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware again?

I have the full-paid version of Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware last updated this afternoon (prior to SpySweeper program update)..

I thank you in advance for all your help and understanding!

BIG SMILE

Hi -

As you do not list your Operating System (XP Vista Win7) I have listed all exclusions (mentioned above by GT500)

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went - Thank You

HELLO noknojon & GT500,

Well, for starters, thank you for taking the time to read my post and for responding. Thank you also for listing possible solutions.

My Dell desktop PC (Inspiron 530) is the 32-bit version of Vista Home Edition. My Firewall is McAfee Security Center (software came pre-installed & is user friendly). No conflict of interest, in recent past, between my security software (McAfee Security Center, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, SpySweeper with Anti-Virus) as I do not run them at the same time.

Yesterday, after a 1 week hiatus, I was back on my computer and online. Once I closed my web browser I updated my security software in the following order...

1.) McAfee Security Center

2. ) Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware

3.) SpySweeper with Anti-Virus

No problem regarding the first two, yet the Webroot program not only offered new virus definitions, but also a program update. I went from the previous "normal" Webroot updates to my first Webroot/Best Buy update (new desktop icon and interface). Once install wizard had uninstalled the previous version of SpySweeper it bagan to install the latest program update, prompt to restart computer.

I ran the new Webroot SpySweeper with Anti-Virus (scan came back clean) and the MSC (also clean), yet when I clicked on Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware (short cut icon, mini icon, All Programs) I got said error message.

I should have mentioned that I'm a luddite (read inept when it comes to fixes as I do not know how to write/read code...I need the idiot proof software that works flawlessly). Imagine if you had to explain this to a 3 year old (plus, in my defense, English is my second language).

I am going to read threw the helpfull advice you listed, yet I have the strong feeling I might get stuck somewhere along the lines. Is it okay for me to post back where/why I'm stuck regarding the fixes/exclusions (I've never done this before)?

From the VERY blond techno clutz

17. ISSUE: I'm getting a Runtime error 0 and 440 automation error.

SOLUTION: Please do the following to see if it fixes the error:

?Please copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):

CODE

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ssubtmr6.dll"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\vbalsgrid6.ocx"?Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

?In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files

?Name the file MBAM Fix.bat (the .bat extension is very important)

?Save the file to your desktop and double click it to run it on XP. For Vista please right click on it and choose Run As Admin

?Click OK to each of the 3 dialog boxes that should show a success message for each file registered

?If you get an error that REGSVR32 "is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file", then ensure that the file REGSVR32.EXE exists in the %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32 folder. If it's not found there you can copy if from another Computer running the same operating system and service pack level.

If that doesn't fix it then please download and install the Microsoft Visual Basic Common Controls from here to see if it helps.

OKAY...as predicted, blond techno clutz does not know how to "copy and paste the following text in the Code box exactly as written into notepad" (Painful to admitt). Ergo could someone please, in plain English, tell me how to step-by-step copy/paste into Code box (then I can attempt the fix).

Inept blond techno clutz

Dear exile360,

Well, for starters, thank you to you as well for taking the time to read my post and for posting a solution.

It appears I was a bit hasty when I called myself inept at program fixes (insecure would have been a better choice of words). I made myself a cup of coffee and carefully re-read the instructions to solution # 17

(they were more drawn out then need be, one or two steps anyway were redundant, and I managed to save the txt file with the fixes as per instructions correctly...saved to desktop...pressed okay 3 times...and THEN I was able to open MBAM).

Ergo I managed without your attached text file, yet that does not diminish your efforts/contribution.

I want to thank you, noknojon, GT500, and ALL the others on these forums that lend a helping hand to us naive folks (that are techno challanged).

I, as said, have my MBAM back (currently running a full scan in back ground after updating MBAM). I will post back on how things are going in the next 48 hours and, as yet, have NOT tackled the exclusions.

Thank you KIND people

Hi Again -

I would (personally) prefer it if you removed the McAfee Security Center, (if you wish to keep another A/V program installed) by using the uninstaller listed in the following link - I think it is Item 20a and 20b http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/

Then if this is a reasonably new unit you can also scroll to the bottom of the page and use the PC DeCrapifier to clear the system of preinstalled similar software that is not generally required, but added as Pre Sale and Promotion items -

Thank You -

Greetings :)

Please download the attached file and extract it then double-click on the MBAM_440_Fix.bat file to run it. If you are using Vista or Windows 7 you must right-click the file and select "Run as administrator".

MBAM_440_Fix.zip

Please let me know if it corrects the issue or not.

I have tried everything so far on this forum. I tried to copy and paste the text and put it in notepad but my notepad won't even open. I also tried to download the zip file and extract everything but it keeps telling me the file is corrupt. I don't know what else to do. Any Ideas?

• Root Admin
I have tried everything so far on this forum. I tried to copy and paste the text and put it in notepad but my notepad won't even open. I also tried to download the zip file and extract everything but it keeps telling me the file is corrupt. I don't know what else to do. Any Ideas?

Hello , and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Well it doesn't sound like you have anywhere near the same issue if you can't even open notepad. Please follow the advice below and post in the other forum.

Someone will work with you one on one to assist you in that forum.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

• 2 weeks later...