Malwarebytes and SpywareTerminator

Hi all

just registered and here my first topic:

after having updated SpywareTerminator (vers. 2.3.0.487) and MBAM to version 1.24 I can't update any longer both programs, from within the programs: if I press the button "check for the updates" with one of the three addresses available the program starts checking the availability of the address (i.e. malwarebytes.org) without an end and without sorting out with any updates (but it should find vers. 1.25!).

Is it something related to one of the two last updates?

Thanks in advance for your valuable help!

P.S. Win XP sp2 fully patched with Kaspersky Internet Security

Hi Rocky and welcome Malwarebytes Security Forums ;).

Are you aware at all about the history of SpywareTerminator and that it was once classed as a Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Product?.

It has been de-listed now as such and personally I would neither use it or recommend it but that is merely at my own discretion. Just a friendly heads up as they say.

Ok to the problem you have at hand, do you the the Real Time Protection feature of both applications active? if so decide which you wish to keep active and keep one as a on-demand scanner only. Reason being a system conflict may be occurring, plus this will actually lessen online protection.

Try the above if the case then try updating both again.

Hi Rocky and welcome Malwarebytes Security Forums ;).

Are you aware at all about the history of SpywareTerminator and that it was once classed as a Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Product?.

It has been de-listed now as such and personally I would neither use it or recommend it but that is merely at my own discretion. Just a friendly heads up as they say.

Ok to the problem you have at hand, do you the the Real Time Protection feature of both applications active? if so decide which you wish to keep active and keep one as a on-demand scanner only. Reason being a system conflict may be occurring, plus this will actually lessen online protection.

Try the above if the case then try updating both again.

Thanks for your answer Dakeyras

I have no real time protection for both the products, because I guess I would have problems with my Kaspersky Internet Security; I therefore prefer to use both of them as on-demand scanners. Nevertheless I'm wondering if I would better uninstall Spyware Terminator (first choice) or wait for next update

Waiting for any other suggestions

You're welcome ;).

I have just been investigating ST and it appears it also has a option for a Anti-Virus engine built in also. From the site:

Spyware Terminator includes:

Fast spyware scanning

100% real-time protection

HIPS protection

Antivirus protection

Multilanguage Support

This will most likely cause a conflict with your Kaspersky Internet Security, I think it best to uninstall ST.

Try updating MBAM again with the internal updater and if no joy carry out the following: (I know some users are experiencing issues with the internal updater but this may have been resolved now)

Uninstall MBAM and download the new version from here v1.25 and this will hopefully resolve the issues you are experiencing.

Tkx again for your help Dakeyras,

let me now update my problem: after having tried many other times to update my MBAM to version 1.25, I decided to uninstall ST in order to verify whether it was the reason of my problem. Unfortunetely it wasn't because I still failed to get the update to version 1.25: whenever I launch the request to check for updates (from within the program) my pc freezes while looking for the download source web-site (i.e. malwarebytes.org). I then have to stop the attempt. I wonder if this is due to my database version (1060) maybe corrupted, and if there is any other way outside the program to download and install a database update, avoiding in this way to uninstall the whole program.

Any suggestions from MBAM experts?

Hi ;).

Ok if you wish by all means try updating the present database of your installed MBAM v1.24, then run the internal updater afterwords etc.

• Download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Database to your desktop. Kindly hosted by GT500.
  • Note: At the time of this post the database is only the v1068, the most current being v1071.

Next:

• Double-click on mbam-rules.exe and follow the prompts to install the update.
  • Launch/start MBAM, run the internal updater.

Please post back the outcome.

Hello again Dakeyras,

unfortunetely the file you provided not only did not work, but it caused the program not to be usable any longer; the reason is very simple: the external definitions list is not directly applicable unless you use the right version for that specific data-base (1.25!). Since I didn't, the only thing I could do was to uninstall my bloody 1.24 version!

I didn't know that, you didn't either; it doesn't matter it's not your fault for sure.

The only complaint I could have is that nobody in the MBAM team has highlighted within the web-site that the external definitions provided are NOT usable to update any program version without paying attention to the actual version you are running!

Never mind, you have been very helpfull, and believe me I appreciated that very much.

All the best!

Hi Rocky and sorry for your troubles. Please try this, search for all files associated with SpywareTerminator and delete them, and do the same for MBAM, reboot and download a fresh version of MBAM. Then go here http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 and follow those instructions. Start a new topic there and post the requested logs.

Hi Rocky and sorry for your troubles. Please try this, search for all files associated with SpywareTerminator and delete them, and do the same for MBAM, reboot and download a fresh version of MBAM. Then go here http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 and follow those instructions. Start a new topic there and post the requested logs.

Thanks for your answer Jean,

I guess I've already solve my problem by downloading a fresh version (1.25), removing the TeaTimer resident (I do believe it was related in some way to my problem!) and installing the new version. At last I was able to update MBAM from within the program (internal updater).

Thanks again for your efforts in finding a solution to my problem.

For sure I will keep using your great product!

All the best

Hi ;).

I apologies for not replying sooner and thanks Jean for stepping in.

Pleased the outcome is now a correctly working MBAM. Noticed you mentioned the use of the TeaTimer part of Spybot', this could well have been the culprit and that in conjunction with the resident protection of your installed Kaspersky Internet Security.

I think with hindsight best to keep any other applications you have installed all as on-demand only whilst using the aforementioned Kaspersky Internet Security. Happy surfing as they say!.

• Download the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Database to your desktop. Kindly hosted by GT500.

• Note: At the time of this post the database is only the v1068, the most current being v1071.

I've noticed that Bruce updates the definitions too frequently for poor Marcin to keep up. It's like they need a volunteer just to bundle the stand-alone database installer each time Bruce updates it. ;)

Thanks for your answer Jean,

I guess I've already solve my problem by downloading a fresh version (1.25), removing the TeaTimer resident (I do believe it was related in some way to my problem!) and installing the new version. At last I was able to update MBAM from within the program (internal updater).

Thanks again for your efforts in finding a solution to my problem.

For sure I will keep using your great product!

All the best

TeaTimer is excellent in what it's meant to do. However, sometimes that prevents programs that alter the registry from functioning.

I apologies for not replying sooner and thanks Jean for stepping in.

Your welcome, no worries.

I've noticed that Bruce updates the definitions too frequently for poor Marcin to keep up. It's like they need a volunteer just to bundle the stand-alone database installer each time Bruce updates it. ;)

Food for thought GT' mate :).