Install issues

Hi,

New here, and i use this app at work, and think its great, well decided to dl on my desktop at home (XP sp2). Well i continue to have install issues. I continue to get the following error.

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ssubtmr6.dll

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway (not recommended), or Abort to cancel the installation.

When i retry, i get the same error message

If i choose to ignore, i get a different error message:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\vbalsgrid6.ocx

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x3

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway (not recommended), or Abort to cancel the installation.

When i retry, i get same message.

If i choose to ignore, i get the following message:

mbam.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because MSVBVM60.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

Well i have uninstalled, restarted pc, reinstalled, and get the same issue, i even tried to roll back to 1.24, and i get the same issues there...

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

LoadLibrary("C:\ Program Files\ Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ssubtmer6.DLL") failed - The specified module could not be found.

Click Start, Run, and copy and paste this in.

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ssubtmr6.dll"

What happens?

Yes please.

Any word on this?

Can i extract the dll and ocx files from the executable and place them locally on the machine in the needed folders? Only time i ever attemtped something like this was for a windows recovery and it failed, so i figure i wuld ask first..

thanks

I appreciate the help, But i actually looked at my msvbvm60.dll error a bit closer, i thought i had seen this once before, and i googled this issue, and it was correct. Somehow some of my VB files must have been deleted or moved, not sure how yet.

Well i was able to install the runtime files needed, and wham, i was able to install and and im running a scan right now...thank god, been going on for about 8 mintues now over 700gb, and its already found something...

I appreciate the assist though....

I have also run into this problem and i am always logged in under administrator

Download this: Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0: Run-Time Redistribution Pack (vbrun60sp6.exe) from the microsoft website...after you run this file, delete Malwarebytes, restart pc and reinstall. and it should work fine...it did for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Download this: Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0: Run-Time Redistribution Pack (vbrun60sp6.exe) from the microsoft website...after you run this file, delete Malwarebytes, restart pc and reinstall. and it should work fine...it did for me.

Hi - new user ... Had the original error 'Unable to register DLL/OCX RegSvr32 Failed with Exit Code 0x5' ; I have downloaded & installed VBRun60SP6.exe from Microsoft ; not successful ; when I click through the error using "Ignore" I eventually get "Runtime Error 339" which indicated a missing file VBALSGRID6.OCX ; I downloaded the file COMCTL32.ocx and ran it ( updated the control service ) ; still no success ; now what ??? This all started after an unsuccessful Windows update to SP3 - there was a non-descript error message "Access Denied" and then the updated 'un-did' itself. I have also run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool and CCleaner. Help !! Thanks !!!

• 2 months later...
  • Root Admin

I'm reasonably certain I've found the solution to fixing this. Not certain what causes the issue though in the first place.

It's very late here right now and I still need to write up some documentation and do a little more testing but will try to post the fix some time this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
can you tell me what it means to register them? thank you.

Registering them is basically installing them by clicking Start, then clicking the Run button on the start menu and typing regsvr32 followed by a space and then the full path to the dll file to be registered. For example, if I were trying to register a dll called mbam.dll located in the Malwarebytes' folder in the Program Files directory, I would click Start, Run and then type regsvr32 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll

I have attached all of the files that need to be registered, please tell me if that helps. You should manually register each file.

files.zip

Hello, mbam-setup.exe won't work. (No errors, though the installation process does show up in task manager for a while before disappearing) I am logged in as admin, I registered the above 3 files successfully, I installed the vbrun60sp6.exe as suggested elsewhere in this thread to no further avail. I tried mbam-setup.exe from 2 sources, cnet & here: Interestingly, both were supposedly v1.30 but the file sizes were slightly different, don't know what's up with that. I've already eradicated much of the trojan brastk.exe karna.dat using regedit, HijackThis, microsoft's online protection scan etc. but the browser, antivirus programs, microsoft update etc. still can't get to sites like lavasoft.com or microsoft download so I know the system isn't clean. Maybe something in the trojan is killing this install attempt as well?

What else can I try to install this?

Please read the instructions here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 and post your logs in a new topic here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Please be sure not to install any software or use any removal/scanning tools exept those that you are instructed to by the expert who will be assisting you as doing so can make their job much more difficult. I realize that you won't be able to do some of the scans, but that's ok, they can still use your HijackThis log and whatever else on the list you can scan with to help you erradicate the nasties. One final note, you might try renaming the setup file for MBAM as this might help to bypass what's stopping it from running and allow it to install. If that does work, but then MBAM won't run, then try renaming the executable for the main program to see if that works, then post that log along with your HJT log in the forum mentioned at the top of this post.

If renaming doesn't help, you can also try this:

This is quoted from one of the forum moderators, AdvancedSetup.

Please try the following routine to see if you can get Malwarebytes to run.

Click on Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc and click OK

On the View menu click on Show hidden devices

Browse to Non-Plug and Play Drivers and you should see something like TDSSserv.sys

Highlight that driver and right click on it and select DISABLE

Now RESTART your computer.

Download a copy of Malwarebytes but DO NOT run it yet.

Rename the downloaded installer file to any generic name such as your own name but keep the .EXE extension on the file and run it.

Once the program is installed go to the UPDATE tab and try to update the program if you can.

Then go to the SCANNER tab and run a Quick Scan and allow MBAM to fix anything found.

If that does work then please follow the routine below and post a new topic in the listed forum with the requested information.

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936

When ready please post your logs here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

i followed the thread and had the same situation. i performed the same actions as documented above.

i couldn't install mbam until i renamed the setup file.

the install succeeded. the update of mbam/database succeeded. the full scan is running now.

i'll post again when the scan is completed and i've rebooted to test.

thanks to all of you for this excellent post.

:)

i followed the thread and had the same situation. i performed the same actions as documented above.

the install succeeded. the update of mbam/database succeeded. the full scan is running now.

I was successful in removing the worst problems but the following problems remain:

1. I can now see the "C:" disk but it has a red X next to it instead of a disk symbol, etc.

2. I can use the control panel to add/remove programs but some programs, like spyhunter, can't be 'removed.'

3. When I try to change the 'background' picture of the desktop I discover that the 'properties' of the desktop do not include a background tab.....only screen saver.

There are probably many more discrepancies but these are the ones I noticed quickly.

I reinstalled XP SP3 (i'm running XP Home) but it didn't fix any of the above.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to proceed?

I have the similar problem with registering those two dlls, since I first installed it months ago.

But when I install a new version, I'll get the error messages again.

If I ignore both, mbam installs, and seems to work.

Even so, I reinstalled virtual basic, uninstalled mbam, rebooted, then reinstalled mbam.

Same thing.

So, I'm wondering if it seems to be working, and has detected a beast in the past (as well as a few documented FPs), does not registering those files present a problem?

Also, I'm wondering, *Advanced Setup* suggested above, that he thought he knew the fix, but never returned to post it.

Any ideas?

I know my system is clean, by the way, so this seems to be otherwise related to certain system incompatibilities.

Thanks for any help!

Most likely one of the experts can help you out and also make sure your system is totally cleaned up please read the instructions here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2936 and post your logs in a new topic here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Please be sure not to install any software or use any removal/scanning tools exept those that you are instructed to by the expert who will be assisting you as doing so can make their job much more difficult. I hope I was helpful. Good luck and safe surfing.

I have the similar problem with registering those two dlls, since I first installed it months ago.

But when I install a new version, I'll get the error messages again.

If I ignore both, mbam installs, and seems to work.

Even so, I reinstalled virtual basic, uninstalled mbam, rebooted, then reinstalled mbam.

Same thing.

So, I'm wondering if it seems to be working, and has detected a beast in the past (as well as a few documented FPs), does not registering those files present a problem?

Also, I'm wondering, *Advanced Setup* suggested above, that he thought he knew the fix, but never returned to post it.

Any ideas?

I know my system is clean, by the way, so this seems to be otherwise related to certain system incompatibilities.

Thanks for any help!

Honestly, I'd recommend sending a PM to AdvancedSetup or posting in the Malwarebytes' HijackThis forum, but if you're sure you're clean, I'd just send the PM.