The Web Means the End of Forgetting..

ShyWriter

Compliments of The New York Times Magazine Section / July 25, 2010

7kVGK.jpg

By JEFFREY ROSEN

Published: July 19, 2010

Four years ago, Stacy Snyder, then a 25-year-old teacher in training at Conestoga Valley High School in Lancaster, Pa., posted a photo on her MySpace page that showed her at a party wearing a pirate hat and drinking from a plastic cup, with the caption

Wow.

Thanks for sharing this, Shy.

This is one reason why I refrain from really posting any photos of myself. Still trying to get a friend to remove pics of me off her FB page... ugh!

I don't drink or anything though, so no pics of me doing that, and if I did, I wouldn't have pics taken of me doing so :)

I also share very, very little about myself on FB or whatever. I also have no Twitter. Archiving all public Tweets, eak.

Oh, and I don't have my last name on FB. hehehe

I often wonder too, if these people that fill in the family tree info on the Genealogy sites, realize that identity thieves mine these sites for dates of birth, mother's maiden name, etc, et al.. Doesn't take much additional info to steal someone's ID.. or generate one on a person's dead sibling's info..

As for the original article on "End of Forgetting" there was no mention of the "way back" machine and its archive of old site versions as well as defunct ones.. Scary, huh??

:) :)

We now end the THOUGHT FOR THE DAY... :)

~Shy

Ugh, yeah. The family tree sites are very interesting and a great idea, but I think they are a disaster waiting to happen in other ways, like you said.

I am definitely going to read the entire article when I have some more time (I've already started reading a bit more of it).

I am so careful online and articles like these like to remind me why... hehe.